The new air ambulance helipad at UPMC Mercy will replace the original structure overlooking the Boulevard of the Allies, which has been in place since the mid 1980’s and a landmark of Pittsburgh’s cityscape. The relocation is part of the ongoing construction of the state-of-the art UPMC Vision and Rehabilitation Tower at UPMC Mercy.
“We have undergone tremendous progress at UPMC Mercy over the past decade, said John Innocenti, interim president, UPMC Mercy. “This new helipad is part of the evolution of our abilities to provide world-class health care to our patients.
The new helipad provides an unobstructed viewpoint for air ambulance crews during approach and departure saving precious time for a critically ill or injured patient. Measuring 55 feet by 55 feet and approximately 163 feet above street level—132 feet higher than its predecessor—the new helipad offers direct and express access to care at UPMC Mercy’s emergency department and Level 1 trauma services.
“The rooftop location increases safety in our approach and departure access and the improved facilities provide room for the crews to decontaminate equipment and prepare for the next patient in need, said James Houser, president and chief executive officer, STAT MedEvac. “These features significantly enhance our ability to quickly get patients to the care they need at UPMC Mercy.”
In 2019, STAT MedEvac, operated by the Center for Emergency Medicine of western Pennsylvania, part of UPMC, transported 889 patients to UPMC Mercy, many with serious and often life-threatening injuries suffered from automobile accidents, gunshot wounds, falls and other events.
The rooftop helipad began operations on November 19.
- New Zealand’s first female navy pilot
- Bristow announces FY2021 Q2 Earnings Release Call
- Community Interest Company Donates Face Shields to Wales Air Ambulance
- Oceania Aviation receives STC approval for Bell 429 Bike Rack
- COPA Neil J. Armstrong Scholarships Applications Now Open
- Russian Helicopters develop neonatal EMS interior for Ansat
- Sikorsky and Boeing update Defiant X for US Army FLRAA bid
- Foresight HUMS integrates helicopter-specific data into Digital AirWare MRO software
- Wingcopter secures $22M to expand delivery drone business
- Centum phone location technology approved for Airbus H145
- Bristow achieves ISO 14001 environmental certification for UK operations
- CHC launches partnership for wildfire detection
- Airbus Helicopters resilient in 2020
- CHC wins another UK offshore windfarm contract
- Great Western Air Ambulance reports on 2020 missions
- UK – Children’s Air Ambulance reaches another milestone
- Flyjets adds helicopters to travel planning system
- New multi-million pound Cosford base approved for Midlands Air Ambulance
- Metro Aviation announce STC for Stryker Performance-LOAD Manual Cot Fastener
- Airborne Engines Ltd & Keystone Turbine Services reduce HMU prices