Hill Helicopters today announced its luxury, private Hill HX50 helicopter will receive an initial EASA CS-27 type approval from the UK CAA to be operated under amateur-built/experimental category regulations, making it the most modern, affordable private turbine light helicopter in the world. HX50 fully meets EASA CS-27 and FAR Part 27 certification requirements. This elegant, cutting-edge aircraft lists for £495,000 and will be available in 2023. Each aircraft is backed by an industry-leading 5,000-hour, 5-year nose-to-tail warranty with no 12-year aircraft or engine overhaul requirement.
HX50 is a result of a reimagined approach to delivering and supporting safe, exciting luxury private aircraft ownership at an affordable price. Coined General Aviation 2.0, Hill’s revolutionary approach to light general aviation aircraft development and ownership combines full EASA and FAA certification standards with the innovation flexibility and simplified private operation provided by the amateur-built regulatory framework.
“More than 80% of light helicopters today are privately owned, yet owners still find them lacking in the features they truly desire,” says Hill Helicopters President and CEO Jason Hill. “The Hill HX50 helicopter is designed as the ultimate personal, luxury aircraft. Through our pioneering General Aviation 2.0 approach, we developed a truly innovative and safety-focused aircraft that fully meets EASA and FAA certification requirements while providing an end-to-end ownership experience that delivers the aircraft you’ve always wanted, combined with all the support you need to get the best out of private aviation.”
How it Works
Recognizing that private owners are often inexperienced or infrequent pilots, Hill designed the aircraft to directly focus on their needs – benign handling qualities, resilience to low-g conditions, excellent stability, high power reserves, realistic payload for the user requirements, robust crashworthiness, and be easily operated with minimum pilot workload.
The amateur-built approval framework allows the manufacturer to both develop an affordable, revolutionary, safety-focused design and deliver an end-to-end ownership experience. This begins with the customer participating in a carefully choreographed two-week factory course at the company’s UK CAA-approved aerospace factory. During the course, owner-operators complete their aircraft alongside licensed engineer/mechanics, not only taking a hands-on approach to the construction of their aircraft, but also gaining invaluable knowledge and skill that substantially increases technical awareness and airman safety.
“Hill Helicopters and the HX50 were created to completely redefine private luxury helicopter ownership, making it desirable and financially attainable while directly addressing the critical need for safe ownership and operation,” says Hill. “There is no better way to understand the absolute necessity of correct piloting, operating, and vital maintenance requirements than being directly involved in the manufacture of your own helicopter. We believe very strongly that this awareness is paramount to developing owner-operators with the knowledge, skills, and technical appreciation that enable long-term safe operation of their aircraft.”
Additionally, because each HX50 aircraft is only assembled in the UK CAA-approved factory with careful oversite by licensed professionals, the HX50 is not subject to the operating limitations often placed on aircraft in this category beyond private use.
Fully Certified HC50
Hill Helicopters is also certifying an identical version of the aircraft, the HC50. Given the design was developed to entirely meet all EASA and FAA certification requirements, the certification process is expected to progress rapidly. It is inevitable however, that a multi-national commercial certification program will take somewhat longer than the streamlined initial type approval.
The HC50, certified for commercial use is expected to be available in 2026 and will have a list price significantly higher than HX50.
For more information on Hill Helicopters, General Aviation 2.0, our dual role approval process, and the groundbreaking HX50 and HC50 helicopters, please visit www.hillhelicopters.com.
Founded Dr. Jason Hill, Ph.D., Hill Helicopters’ mission is to fully disrupt the general aviation market with a completely revolutionary new private aircraft design. Built from the ground up and incorporating the latest structural, propulsion, navigation, and experiential technology, the HX50 is the helicopter redefined. For more information visit www.hillhelicopters.com.
- New Zealand’s first female navy pilot
- Bristow announces FY2021 Q2 Earnings Release Call
- Community Interest Company Donates Face Shields to Wales Air Ambulance
- Oceania Aviation receives STC approval for Bell 429 Bike Rack
- COPA Neil J. Armstrong Scholarships Applications Now Open
- Russian Helicopters develop neonatal EMS interior for Ansat
- Sikorsky and Boeing update Defiant X for US Army FLRAA bid
- Foresight HUMS integrates helicopter-specific data into Digital AirWare MRO software
- Wingcopter secures $22M to expand delivery drone business
- Centum phone location technology approved for Airbus H145
- Bristow achieves ISO 14001 environmental certification for UK operations
- CHC launches partnership for wildfire detection
- Airbus Helicopters resilient in 2020
- CHC wins another UK offshore windfarm contract
- Great Western Air Ambulance reports on 2020 missions
- UK – Children’s Air Ambulance reaches another milestone
- Flyjets adds helicopters to travel planning system
- New multi-million pound Cosford base approved for Midlands Air Ambulance
- Metro Aviation announce STC for Stryker Performance-LOAD Manual Cot Fastener
- Airborne Engines Ltd & Keystone Turbine Services reduce HMU prices