AgustaWestland, a Finmeccanica company, is pleased to announce that the Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency (MMEA) has taken delivery of its first AW139 medium twin engine helicopter. This aircraft will be used to perform search and rescue, coastal patrol and law enforcement duties around Malaysia's extensive coast line. An additional two helicopters will be delivered later this year.
AgustaWestland Malaysia Sdn Bhd, a wholly owned subsidiary of AgustaWestland, will be responsible for the provision of maintenance services to the MMEA’s AW139s. The MMEA signed a contract for three AW139s plus options for several additional aircraft in October 2008, marking the entrance of the AW139 helicopter into the Malaysian government market following earlier success for the aircraft in the Malaysian commercial market. The delivery of the MMEA’s first AW139 follows the handover of two AW139s to the Malaysian Fire and Rescue Department (Bomba) in April 2010. The MMEA adds to the growing number of customers who have placed orders or are already operating the AW139 for homeland security, maritime patrol and search and rescue type missions. Customers include agencies in Japan, South Korea, the UK, Italy, Spain, Estonia, Cyprus, UAE.
Giacomo Saponaro, Senior Vice President International Government Business Unit, AgustaWestland said “We are proud to deliver the Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency’s first AW139 and look forward to the aircraft entering service and serving the people of Malaysia The best selling AW139 will provide a significant enhancement in the MMEA’s capabilities to cover Malaysia’s extensive coast line and we are hopeful that it will lead to a further expansion of the AW139 fleet.”
A new generation medium twin-turbine helicopter setting new standards against which all new medium twins are measured, the AW139 has been designed with inherent multi-role capability and flexibility of operation, offering unmatched performance and safety levels as well as the largest cabin in its class. With a maximum cruise speed of 165 kts (306 km/h), a maximum range of 573 nm (1061 km) and over 5 hours endurance, the AW139 helicopter offers class leading mission capability. State-of-the-art mission-dedicated technology and equipment and outstanding performance features enable the AW139 to accomplish the most demanding operations in the harshest weather and environmental conditions.
The MMEA’s AW139 are fitted with latest mission equipment including a FLIR, NVG compatible cockpit and a 4-axis Automatic Flight Control System with SAR modes. Orders for more than 460 AW139s have been placed by over 130 customers from nearly 50 countries for a wide range of applications including EMS/SAR, law enforcement, offshore transport, VIP/corporate transport, fire fighting, utility and other commercial and government roles.
AgustaWestland Malaysia Sdn Bhd continues to play a major role in the Malaysian helicopter market expanding its presence and increasing its capabilities through a continued programme of investment. Located at Kuala Lumpur's Sultan Abdul Aziz Shah Airport, AgustaWestland Malaysia’s regional maintenance and support centre is a Malaysian DCA approved maintenance and repair organization. AgustaWestland Malaysia Sdn Bhd is providing local support and training for the growing fleet of AgustaWestland customers in the region.
- AgustaWestland Training Academy Malaysia Introduces AW139 Full Flight Simulator
- AgustaWestland Secures its First AW139 Order in Senegal
- AgustaWestland and Shanghai Zenisun sign official Distributorship Agreement for China
- Samsung Techwin orders two more AW139s
- AgustaWestland confirm HeliHub.com story on Brunei Shell AW139s
- AW139 tech pubs now available on tablets and smart phones
- US corporate operator signs for two AW139s
- LCI signs for 10 more new AgustaWestland helicopters
- Omni signs for two more AW139s
- LCI to lease two AW139s to WestStar
- UK – Significant growth for Gama helicopter maintenance
- AgustaWestland launches Paris Airshow App 2013 and Official Twitter Account
- Azerbaijan Airlines orders S92 and AW139 simulators from CAE
- Panama takes delivery of fifth and sixth AW139s
- Weststar signs first contract outside Malaysia
- Brunei Shell Petroleum accepts two AW139s
- Fourth corporate AW139 sold into UK market
- HeliRussia – Exclases signs for five AW139s
- RBC makes C$500K donation to STARS
- Neighbours complain at temporary EMS helipad