Sandel Avionics has announced the delivery of its first HeliTAWS helicopter terrain safety system to Metro Aviation, Shreveport, LA, which will install the unit in one of its fleet of Eurocopter AS350 helicopters. Adding Sandelâ€™s proprietary TrueAlertâ„¢ nuisance-alert elimination technology, off-airport landing capability and high-resolution 3-D terrain display capabilities to its Class A HTAWS functions, Sandel HeliTAWS is expected to significantly increase the safety of such demanding helicopter missions as HEMS (helicopter emergency medical services); offshore oil rig operations; tactical military support; search and rescue; and airborne law enforcement. Sandel previously announced that it had received TSO approval for HeliTAWS on August 16, 2010.
The 3-ATI HeliTAWS is a ruggedized, self-contained system with a high-resolution display that retrofits by simply removing and replacing an existing Radar Altimeter indicator. Typically, this eliminates panel modification and simplifies installation. In addition, Sandelâ€™s TrueAlertâ„¢ technology increases pilot confidence by eliminating nuisance alerts, a significant problem with existing terrain warning products that limits their usefulness in helicopter operations. With TrueAlert, pilots can safely take off, cruise, hover and land at off-airport locations without triggering nuisance alerts, while still receiving the established benefits of Class-A terrain and obstacle warnings during the entire flight. The system is completely automatic and does not require pilot management of the phase of flight. NVG-compatible, HeliTAWS meets DO-160F helicopter vibration standards and has an MTBF of more than 10,000 hours. The retail price is $18,950.
Sandel Avionics, located in Vista, California, is a privately held company that provides compact integrated display systems for business aviation, air transport and regional, and rotary-wing aircraft. Recent successes include the companyâ€™s best-selling, turbine-class ST3400 TAWS and its 4-ATI retrofit primary flight displays, and its new HeliTAWS is the helicopter industryâ€™s first complete helicopter safety solution. Additional information can be found at www.sandel.com.
[photo caption – Milton Geltz, Managing Director of Metro Aviation, accepts delivery of the first HeliTAWS from William H. Elliott, Eastern Sales Manager for Sandel Avionics]
- EASA approves CAE Brunei Training Centre
- Aspen’s Connected Panel Technology Receives US Patent
- Hospital CEO raises concern over proposed helicopter ban
- Greeneville-Greene County Municipal Airport still hopeful for EMS helicopter hangar
- Victim pleads for mercy for prosecuted NZ rescue pilot
- Cal Fire installs water tank high up in Summit Hills
- Canadian hospital helipad lights vandalised
- Air Methods appointed as Preferred Provder to Bayflite
- Spectrum Aeromed to Host Book Signing at AMTC 2015
- Captain Eric ‘Winkle’ Brown advises on safety at Helitech
- Sikorsky Launches 2015 STEM Challenge for High School Students
- Bell provides October update on 505 JetRanger X program
- Global Vectra first in world to take HCare Smart PBH contract for H130
- Patria to supply NH90 parts to Sweden and Finland
- UK – LIncs Notts Air Ambulance to replace Explorer with AW169
- Garmin explains GTN650 to GTN750 differences
- Bond hand over first of seven upgraded EC135s to NPAS
- Civil Helicopter Market Forecast 2015-2025
- Russia offers Egypt the helicopters developed for Mistral
- AgustaWestland to open new plant in Brazil