Sandel Avionics has announced the delivery of its first HeliTAWS helicopter terrain safety system to Metro Aviation, Shreveport, LA, which will install the unit in one of its fleet of Eurocopter AS350 helicopters. Adding Sandel’s proprietary TrueAlert™ nuisance-alert elimination technology, off-airport landing capability and high-resolution 3-D terrain display capabilities to its Class A HTAWS functions, Sandel HeliTAWS is expected to significantly increase the safety of such demanding helicopter missions as HEMS (helicopter emergency medical services); offshore oil rig operations; tactical military support; search and rescue; and airborne law enforcement. Sandel previously announced that it had received TSO approval for HeliTAWS on August 16, 2010.
The 3-ATI HeliTAWS is a ruggedized, self-contained system with a high-resolution display that retrofits by simply removing and replacing an existing Radar Altimeter indicator. Typically, this eliminates panel modification and simplifies installation. In addition, Sandel’s TrueAlert™ technology increases pilot confidence by eliminating nuisance alerts, a significant problem with existing terrain warning products that limits their usefulness in helicopter operations. With TrueAlert, pilots can safely take off, cruise, hover and land at off-airport locations without triggering nuisance alerts, while still receiving the established benefits of Class-A terrain and obstacle warnings during the entire flight. The system is completely automatic and does not require pilot management of the phase of flight. NVG-compatible, HeliTAWS meets DO-160F helicopter vibration standards and has an MTBF of more than 10,000 hours. The retail price is $18,950.
Sandel Avionics, located in Vista, California, is a privately held company that provides compact integrated display systems for business aviation, air transport and regional, and rotary-wing aircraft. Recent successes include the company’s best-selling, turbine-class ST3400 TAWS and its 4-ATI retrofit primary flight displays, and its new HeliTAWS is the helicopter industry’s first complete helicopter safety solution. Additional information can be found at www.sandel.com.
[photo caption - Milton Geltz, Managing Director of Metro Aviation, accepts delivery of the first HeliTAWS from William H. Elliott, Eastern Sales Manager for Sandel Avionics]
- Air Methods director Tahbaz sells over $825K of company shares
- Air Methods director Bernstein sells over $530K of company shares
- Air Methods director Carleton sells over $828K of company shares
- Final report from ditched R44 in Stockholm
- Bell and Textron Systems Announce First Joint Appearance at NATO Days
- Bell Introduces Bell 505 Jet Ranger X to South Africa
- Bell Continues to Promote Safety Worldwide with Fourth Safety Symposium in 2014
- Russian Helicopters to showcase commercial and military helicopters at AAD 2014 in South Africa
- FAA approves Cool City Avionics autopilot STC on R44
- Airbus Helicopters Canada Delivers AS350 for Muti-Mission Use
- Bose A20 Headsets and Electronic Flight Bags Arrive for Student Helicopter Pilots in Baton Rouge, Louisiana
- V-22 flight tests validate ‘hot and high’ capability for Rolls-Royce AE 1107C engines
- Boeing to Explore Assisting Sky-Watch on Danish UAV Development Project
- Sikorsky Aircraft Selects LORD Corporation’s UltraConductive™ Technology for the S-97 RAIDER™ Helicopter Program
- USU Begins Rotorcraft Bachelor’s Program for Future Helicopter Pilots
- Rescue Helicopter Trust drops bid for funding from Board
- NTSB Sued for Obstruction of Justice
- Sikorsky awarded $9.2M delivery order for VH-3D interior overhaul
- Sikorsky awarded $14.5M for UH-60 transmisison overhauls
- AHIA queries Australian accident rates and latest FAA data