Sandel Avionics has announced the delivery of its first HeliTAWS helicopter terrain safety system to Metro Aviation, Shreveport, LA, which will install the unit in one of its fleet of Eurocopter AS350 helicopters. Adding Sandelâ€™s proprietary TrueAlertâ„¢ nuisance-alert elimination technology, off-airport landing capability and high-resolution 3-D terrain display capabilities to its Class A HTAWS functions, Sandel HeliTAWS is expected to significantly increase the safety of such demanding helicopter missions as HEMS (helicopter emergency medical services); offshore oil rig operations; tactical military support; search and rescue; and airborne law enforcement. Sandel previously announced that it had received TSO approval for HeliTAWS on August 16, 2010.
The 3-ATI HeliTAWS is a ruggedized, self-contained system with a high-resolution display that retrofits by simply removing and replacing an existing Radar Altimeter indicator. Typically, this eliminates panel modification and simplifies installation. In addition, Sandelâ€™s TrueAlertâ„¢ technology increases pilot confidence by eliminating nuisance alerts, a significant problem with existing terrain warning products that limits their usefulness in helicopter operations. With TrueAlert, pilots can safely take off, cruise, hover and land at off-airport locations without triggering nuisance alerts, while still receiving the established benefits of Class-A terrain and obstacle warnings during the entire flight. The system is completely automatic and does not require pilot management of the phase of flight. NVG-compatible, HeliTAWS meets DO-160F helicopter vibration standards and has an MTBF of more than 10,000 hours. The retail price is $18,950.
Sandel Avionics, located in Vista, California, is a privately held company that provides compact integrated display systems for business aviation, air transport and regional, and rotary-wing aircraft. Recent successes include the companyâ€™s best-selling, turbine-class ST3400 TAWS and its 4-ATI retrofit primary flight displays, and its new HeliTAWS is the helicopter industryâ€™s first complete helicopter safety solution. Additional information can be found at www.sandel.com.
[photo caption – Milton Geltz, Managing Director of Metro Aviation, accepts delivery of the first HeliTAWS from William H. Elliott, Eastern Sales Manager for Sandel Avionics]
- EASA’s perspective on Drones
- TRAXXALL Technologies Opens Office in Jacksonville
- AW139 helicopter full flight simulator receives qualification from EASA
- Ramco announces Oceania Headquarters in Melbourne
- Bell 412EPI Completes Southeast Asia Demo Tour
- New prototype on the ramp at Guimbal
- Busiest Day in the Year for Lincolnshire and Nottingham Air Ambulance
- Columbia CAA approves Sikorsky S76C, S76D and S92A
- TRU Simulation + Training to Deliver Avionics Training Systems for Bell 407GX and 412EPI
- UK CAA certifies first helipad with Deck Integrated Fire Fighting System
- Rockwell Collins to support cockpit equipment for U.S. Army
- Russian Helicopters transfer first batch of Mi-8MTV-5s to Belarusian Ministry of Defense
- Defense and Civil Spends on Helicopters in Middle East and North Africa: 2016 to 2024
- £1 Million is not enough for Great North Air Ambulance
- Global Helicopter Avionics Market – Analysis, Technologies & Forecasts to 2020
- Helicopter simulator is first with CAE Medallion-6000XR image generator
- Wales Air Ambulance Charity¹s future fleet touches down
- ASG awarded remarketing of 7 Bristow Helicopters
- Airbus Helicopters delivers final EC135T2+ for Australian military training program
- Airbus to build new customer service center in Chile