Sandel Avionics has announced the delivery of its first HeliTAWS helicopter terrain safety system to Metro Aviation, Shreveport, LA, which will install the unit in one of its fleet of Eurocopter AS350 helicopters. Adding Sandelâ€™s proprietary TrueAlertâ„¢ nuisance-alert elimination technology, off-airport landing capability and high-resolution 3-D terrain display capabilities to its Class A HTAWS functions, Sandel HeliTAWS is expected to significantly increase the safety of such demanding helicopter missions as HEMS (helicopter emergency medical services); offshore oil rig operations; tactical military support; search and rescue; and airborne law enforcement. Sandel previously announced that it had received TSO approval for HeliTAWS on August 16, 2010.
The 3-ATI HeliTAWS is a ruggedized, self-contained system with a high-resolution display that retrofits by simply removing and replacing an existing Radar Altimeter indicator. Typically, this eliminates panel modification and simplifies installation. In addition, Sandelâ€™s TrueAlertâ„¢ technology increases pilot confidence by eliminating nuisance alerts, a significant problem with existing terrain warning products that limits their usefulness in helicopter operations. With TrueAlert, pilots can safely take off, cruise, hover and land at off-airport locations without triggering nuisance alerts, while still receiving the established benefits of Class-A terrain and obstacle warnings during the entire flight. The system is completely automatic and does not require pilot management of the phase of flight. NVG-compatible, HeliTAWS meets DO-160F helicopter vibration standards and has an MTBF of more than 10,000 hours. The retail price is $18,950.
Sandel Avionics, located in Vista, California, is a privately held company that provides compact integrated display systems for business aviation, air transport and regional, and rotary-wing aircraft. Recent successes include the companyâ€™s best-selling, turbine-class ST3400 TAWS and its 4-ATI retrofit primary flight displays, and its new HeliTAWS is the helicopter industryâ€™s first complete helicopter safety solution. Additional information can be found at www.sandel.com.
[photo caption – Milton Geltz, Managing Director of Metro Aviation, accepts delivery of the first HeliTAWS from William H. Elliott, Eastern Sales Manager for Sandel Avionics]
- FAA reaches tentative agreement with US air traffic controllers
- Falcon Aviation takes delivery of AW169 in UAE for offshore work
- Monacair receives last of six new H130s
- JSSI enrolls Bell 407 for Turkish operator at EBACE
- SaxonAir orders a new AW109SP GrandNew
- Leonardo exhibiting at Seafuture & Maritime Technologies event
- Pakistan picks AW139 for SAR
- First Eurocopter, then AgustaWestland, now Turbomeca goes for new name
- HeliOffshore launches global online community using Jive Software
- Airbus reveals H160 VIP interior at EBACE 2016
- UK Childrens Air Ambulance to fly two AW169s
- Era marks 1000 SAR missions on Gulf of Mexico since 2010
- Leonardo and NTU Singapore sign research agreement
- Hawker Pacific attending Rotortech 2016 with Bell 505 mockup
- Universal Avionics expects AS332 certifications mid-2016
- P&WC Rolls Out New Customer Service Engine
- JSSI launches maintenance program for MD500 and MD600
- Bristow brings S92 back from Nigeria for North Sea cover
- Register Update – USA – week to 22 May 2016
- Airbus puts H215 demonstrator into humanitarian relief work