Sandel Avionics has announced the delivery of its first HeliTAWS helicopter terrain safety system to Metro Aviation, Shreveport, LA, which will install the unit in one of its fleet of Eurocopter AS350 helicopters. Adding Sandelâ€™s proprietary TrueAlertâ„¢ nuisance-alert elimination technology, off-airport landing capability and high-resolution 3-D terrain display capabilities to its Class A HTAWS functions, Sandel HeliTAWS is expected to significantly increase the safety of such demanding helicopter missions as HEMS (helicopter emergency medical services); offshore oil rig operations; tactical military support; search and rescue; and airborne law enforcement. Sandel previously announced that it had received TSO approval for HeliTAWS on August 16, 2010.
The 3-ATI HeliTAWS is a ruggedized, self-contained system with a high-resolution display that retrofits by simply removing and replacing an existing Radar Altimeter indicator. Typically, this eliminates panel modification and simplifies installation. In addition, Sandelâ€™s TrueAlertâ„¢ technology increases pilot confidence by eliminating nuisance alerts, a significant problem with existing terrain warning products that limits their usefulness in helicopter operations. With TrueAlert, pilots can safely take off, cruise, hover and land at off-airport locations without triggering nuisance alerts, while still receiving the established benefits of Class-A terrain and obstacle warnings during the entire flight. The system is completely automatic and does not require pilot management of the phase of flight. NVG-compatible, HeliTAWS meets DO-160F helicopter vibration standards and has an MTBF of more than 10,000 hours. The retail price is $18,950.
Sandel Avionics, located in Vista, California, is a privately held company that provides compact integrated display systems for business aviation, air transport and regional, and rotary-wing aircraft. Recent successes include the companyâ€™s best-selling, turbine-class ST3400 TAWS and its 4-ATI retrofit primary flight displays, and its new HeliTAWS is the helicopter industryâ€™s first complete helicopter safety solution. Additional information can be found at www.sandel.com.
[photo caption – Milton Geltz, Managing Director of Metro Aviation, accepts delivery of the first HeliTAWS from William H. Elliott, Eastern Sales Manager for Sandel Avionics]
- US Coast Guard MH-60 pilot awarded Distinguished Flying Cross
- UK AAIB Bulletin – February 2016
- Register Update – China – January 2015
- Bell cuts 200 more jobs at Mirabel
- Statement from the family of the late Jeff Pino
- HAI campaigns to protect veteran benefits
- First customer AW169 arrived in UK today
- Uganda receives new VIP Mi-171E
- IHST gathers safety experts from around the globe at Heli-Expo
- Killer drone squad: Russia unveils anti-armor assault multicopter
- CAE gets approval for US Navy MH-60R/S Tech Refresh program
- Airbus expects H160 simulator prior to customer deliveries
- Garmin launches pair of ADS-B transponders
- Bristow invests in specialist oil and gas UAV company
- NBAA Supports Aviation Tax Exemption in Maryland
- Bristow dividend cut from 34 cents to just 7 cents
- Kent Surrey and Sussex Air Ambulance AW169 expected today
- Disney aims to patent UAV based movie projection system
- Amateur-build helicopter builder in India seeks permission to fly
- Meghalaya Government extends Pawan Hans contract by six months