Sandel Avionics has announced the delivery of its first HeliTAWS helicopter terrain safety system to Metro Aviation, Shreveport, LA, which will install the unit in one of its fleet of Eurocopter AS350 helicopters. Adding Sandel’s proprietary TrueAlert™ nuisance-alert elimination technology, off-airport landing capability and high-resolution 3-D terrain display capabilities to its Class A HTAWS functions, Sandel HeliTAWS is expected to significantly increase the safety of such demanding helicopter missions as HEMS (helicopter emergency medical services); offshore oil rig operations; tactical military support; search and rescue; and airborne law enforcement. Sandel previously announced that it had received TSO approval for HeliTAWS on August 16, 2010.
The 3-ATI HeliTAWS is a ruggedized, self-contained system with a high-resolution display that retrofits by simply removing and replacing an existing Radar Altimeter indicator. Typically, this eliminates panel modification and simplifies installation. In addition, Sandel’s TrueAlert™ technology increases pilot confidence by eliminating nuisance alerts, a significant problem with existing terrain warning products that limits their usefulness in helicopter operations. With TrueAlert, pilots can safely take off, cruise, hover and land at off-airport locations without triggering nuisance alerts, while still receiving the established benefits of Class-A terrain and obstacle warnings during the entire flight. The system is completely automatic and does not require pilot management of the phase of flight. NVG-compatible, HeliTAWS meets DO-160F helicopter vibration standards and has an MTBF of more than 10,000 hours. The retail price is $18,950.
Sandel Avionics, located in Vista, California, is a privately held company that provides compact integrated display systems for business aviation, air transport and regional, and rotary-wing aircraft. Recent successes include the company’s best-selling, turbine-class ST3400 TAWS and its 4-ATI retrofit primary flight displays, and its new HeliTAWS is the helicopter industry’s first complete helicopter safety solution. Additional information can be found at www.sandel.com.
[photo caption - Milton Geltz, Managing Director of Metro Aviation, accepts delivery of the first HeliTAWS from William H. Elliott, Eastern Sales Manager for Sandel Avionics]
- HeliRussia – First Kamov Ka62 to fly by August
- HeliRussia – Transas Aviation to provide locally-made GPS for Bell 407, 429
- HeliRussia – Exclases Holdings signs for a GrandNew
- HeliRussia – Exclases signs for five AW139s
- HeliRussia – Russia-Peru certification agreement opens up opportunties for Helisur
- HeliRussia – Russian Helicopters signs agreement with PANH Helicopters
- HeliRussia – Bell expands in Russia
- Helipad in Woodruff to be Discussed Again
- Dart launches Rear Locker Extender for B206 and B407
- Bell-Boeing awarded $40M for long-lead V-22 components
- Night Flight Concepts Launches Industry Specific NVIS Solution Programs
- Kaweah Delta hosts helipad completion celebration
- Register Update – USA – week to 12 May 2013
- Breeze-Eastern to Design and Produce New Winch for MV-22
- RBC makes C$500K donation to STARS
- TAI shows R300 unmanned helicopter
- FLIR Systems awarded $81M US Army contract
- Royal Canadian Air Force begins TigerEx 2013
- Helmet saves Otago helicopter pilot’s life
- Pilot missing after Shandong helicopter hijacked by 20 men