Sandel Avionics has announced the delivery of its first HeliTAWS helicopter terrain safety system to Metro Aviation, Shreveport, LA, which will install the unit in one of its fleet of Eurocopter AS350 helicopters. Adding Sandelâ€™s proprietary TrueAlertâ„¢ nuisance-alert elimination technology, off-airport landing capability and high-resolution 3-D terrain display capabilities to its Class A HTAWS functions, Sandel HeliTAWS is expected to significantly increase the safety of such demanding helicopter missions as HEMS (helicopter emergency medical services); offshore oil rig operations; tactical military support; search and rescue; and airborne law enforcement. Sandel previously announced that it had received TSO approval for HeliTAWS on August 16, 2010.
The 3-ATI HeliTAWS is a ruggedized, self-contained system with a high-resolution display that retrofits by simply removing and replacing an existing Radar Altimeter indicator. Typically, this eliminates panel modification and simplifies installation. In addition, Sandelâ€™s TrueAlertâ„¢ technology increases pilot confidence by eliminating nuisance alerts, a significant problem with existing terrain warning products that limits their usefulness in helicopter operations. With TrueAlert, pilots can safely take off, cruise, hover and land at off-airport locations without triggering nuisance alerts, while still receiving the established benefits of Class-A terrain and obstacle warnings during the entire flight. The system is completely automatic and does not require pilot management of the phase of flight. NVG-compatible, HeliTAWS meets DO-160F helicopter vibration standards and has an MTBF of more than 10,000 hours. The retail price is $18,950.
Sandel Avionics, located in Vista, California, is a privately held company that provides compact integrated display systems for business aviation, air transport and regional, and rotary-wing aircraft. Recent successes include the companyâ€™s best-selling, turbine-class ST3400 TAWS and its 4-ATI retrofit primary flight displays, and its new HeliTAWS is the helicopter industryâ€™s first complete helicopter safety solution. Additional information can be found at www.sandel.com.
[photo caption – Milton Geltz, Managing Director of Metro Aviation, accepts delivery of the first HeliTAWS from William H. Elliott, Eastern Sales Manager for Sandel Avionics]
- France bestows award on FlightSafety Chairman, President & CEO
- Babcock wins wind farm support work from Siemens
- Serial Production of the MI-171A2 Will Begin in 2017
- Raytheon awarded $21M more for MQ-8 software upgrades
- Lockheed Martin awarded $71M for MH-60R and MH-60S support
- Sikorsky awarded $16M for US Navy H-53 and H-60 field support
- Klickitat Valley Health puts helipad into operation
- Terma Universal DIRCM pod gains interest
- Poland – Airbus Helicopters seeks to work with PGZ on Tiger
- Babcock buys German operator Heli Aviation
- Silk Way Helicopter Services introduces online booking
- Belize Defence Force holds ceremony for two donated UH-1s
- No helicopter rides in North Myrtle Beach, for now
- Historic FAA decision approves night drone ops
- Polish helicopter factory at Swidnik celebrates 60 years of production
- Era Group announces FY 2016 Q1 earnings release call
- Outerlink get FAA STC approval for integrated broadband satcom system on Bell 206L and 407
- Bell highlights military products at Marrakech 2016
- JetSmarter offers heli service from NYC to the Hamptons
- True Blue Power Announces Series of High-Powered USB Charging Ports