The Bristol Evening Post is reporting that this year’s HeliDays event at Weston-super-Mare “has been axed after failing to attract any sponsors”.Â The report states that the organisers have been unable to attract funding for the three day event after losing a grant from the local town council.Â Given that the event only broke even the last two years, the lack of grant in economic times which are yet to improve, the cancellation decision was the only realistic one to be made.
HeliDays has attracted many people over its 20 year history, and will be missed by helicopter pilots and enthusiasts alike, plus of course the thousands of visitors it brought in by road.Â Over the years it has been run, the event has raised a very impressive total of over Â£500,000 for local charities.
Mr ap Rees is also reported as saying that there were “issues with military participation” which were also contributory to the decision, although he is hoping to run a scaled-down event on 23-24th July at the nearby Helicopter Museum, of which he is Chairman of the Trustees, and it could potentially see use of the adjacent Weston Airfield.Â Even this will require confirmation from various organisations and aircrews before it can be confirmed.
Jeremy Parkin – HeliHub.com
- Boeing awarded $264M contract for MH-47 Support Services
- Magpas Air Ambulance selects AW169 to replace MD Explorer
- Sloane Helicopters opens up Irish corporate market with AW109 GrandNew sale
- Bell 429 Celebrates over 330 000 hours of operation
- CAE launches CAE 700MR Series flight training device
- NH90 Sea Lion starts Qualification phase
- Airbus hands over Empire Test Pilot School H125 to QinetiQ
- MD Helicopters creates MDHI Flight Training Academy
- GVH awarded EASA STC for H135 Aeromedical System
- FAA approves all-glass cockpit for MD530F
- CNC Technologies selected to Deploy Airborne Mission Suites for Agency’s New Airbus H125
- Boeing Receives Contract for Four Special Operations Chinooks
- Bristow opens new SAR base at Lydd
- MD takes Hamilton County Sheriff MD530F to APSCON
- GVH selected to design hoist light for Boeing
- Metro delivers H125 to Broward County
- Safran Appoints Executive Vice-President of Engineering
- Boeing awarded $18M contract for MH-47G Block 11 Part Procurement
- Russian Helicopters transfers repaired Mi-17s to Laos
- Leonardo delivers AW119Kx to NYC Department of Environmental Protection Police