A Westland Lynx has recently been put on display outside Portland Marina, on the UK's south coast. Previously the site of Royal Naval Air Station HMS Osprey, the Marina will be the venue for the sailing events of the London Olympics in 2012. At an event hosted by marina owners Dean and Reddyhoff, the helicopter was unveiled in front of servicemen and women, local dignitaries and members of the public.
This particular aircraft, carrying military serial XZ250 and squadron code 426, completed its service life after 32 years and eight days and accumulating 7,667 flying hours with 702, 815 and 829 squadrons and nine ship’s flights operating around the world. It is displayed in the colours of the Black Cats display team.
The Lynx was formally unveiled of its battle ensign by Commodore Paul Chivers OBE RN, the Commanding Officer of RNAS Yeovilton and Lt Cdr Russ Clark, a Lynx Observer who flew the aircraft, as well as being husband and coach of Olympian Sailor Lt Cdr Penny Clark.
Commodore Chivers said: “This Lynx is a reminder to all visitors to the marina of the Royal Navy’s connections to Portland and the Fleet Air Arm’s activities around the world.”
The Portland Marina Gate Guardian will remain in place throughout the Olympics in 2012 as a reminder of the long association of the Fleet Air Arm with Portland.
Jeremy Parkin - HeliHub.com
- Avinics Appoints New CEO Western Europe
- DART Launches Redesigned iPad App to Better Support its Customers
- Next-Generation Transponder receives DoD Certification
- Russian Helicopters congratulates winners of 21st Century Helicopters competition
- Safety Experts Join PRISM Helicopter and Business Aviation Team
- Air Comm acquires Meggitt (Addison)
- New head for Air BP
- Bristow – EC225 situation will last another year or more
- Iraqi Army receives last of 24 Bell 407s
- Argentine Air Force to add two Bell 412s
- EBACE – AgustaWestland pushes VIP-role AW169
- Scotland’s Charity Air Ambulance goes operational
- EBACE – Bell showcases 429
- AHS – Prevailing In “Demanding Environments”
- HAI Participates at HeliRussia 2013
- Bristow publish results for Q4 and Year ended 31st March 2013
- Floating helipad returns to Destin
- 23-May-13 PNB-8302 Eurocopter Bo105 Caracas, Venezuela (5F)
- 23-May-13 G-XXEB Sikorsky S76C++ Denham, UK
- R66 lands at North Pole