A Westland Lynx has recently been put on display outside Portland Marina, on the UK's south coast. Previously the site of Royal Naval Air Station HMS Osprey, the Marina will be the venue for the sailing events of the London Olympics in 2012. At an event hosted by marina owners Dean and Reddyhoff, the helicopter was unveiled in front of servicemen and women, local dignitaries and members of the public.
This particular aircraft, carrying military serial XZ250 and squadron code 426, completed its service life after 32 years and eight days and accumulating 7,667 flying hours with 702, 815 and 829 squadrons and nine ship’s flights operating around the world. It is displayed in the colours of the Black Cats display team.
The Lynx was formally unveiled of its battle ensign by Commodore Paul Chivers OBE RN, the Commanding Officer of RNAS Yeovilton and Lt Cdr Russ Clark, a Lynx Observer who flew the aircraft, as well as being husband and coach of Olympian Sailor Lt Cdr Penny Clark.
Commodore Chivers said: “This Lynx is a reminder to all visitors to the marina of the Royal Navy’s connections to Portland and the Fleet Air Arm’s activities around the world.”
The Portland Marina Gate Guardian will remain in place throughout the Olympics in 2012 as a reminder of the long association of the Fleet Air Arm with Portland.
Jeremy Parkin - HeliHub.com
- UK – Castle Air opens new base at Biggin Hill
- Ka-226T completes test EMS missions for Winter Olympics in Sochi
- StandardAero New Regional Manager for Russia, India and Asia-Pacific
- Avinco completes its third major transaction for CHC in 2013
- Evergreen Helicopters buys two Bell 214STs
- Guidance Aviation President Named Person of Year by SBA
- Aero Sekur returns to Paris Air Show with AW189 liferaft system
- Register Update – Japan – April 2013
- Palm Beach Helicopters receive Part 141 examining authority
- PAvCon Police Aviation Conference starts in Austria on Tuesday
- HeliRussia – First Kamov Ka62 to fly by August
- HeliRussia – Transas Aviation to provide locally-made GPS for Bell 407, 429
- HeliRussia – Exclases Holdings signs for a GrandNew
- HeliRussia – Exclases signs for five AW139s
- HeliRussia – Russia-Peru certification agreement opens up opportunties for Helisur
- HeliRussia – Russian Helicopters signs agreement with PANH Helicopters
- HeliRussia – Bell expands in Russia
- Helipad in Woodruff to be Discussed Again
- Dart launches Rear Locker Extender for B206 and B407
- Bell-Boeing awarded $40M for long-lead V-22 components