A Westland Lynx has recently been put on display outside Portland Marina, on the UK's south coast. Previously the site of Royal Naval Air Station HMS Osprey, the Marina will be the venue for the sailing events of the London Olympics in 2012. At an event hosted by marina owners Dean and Reddyhoff, the helicopter was unveiled in front of servicemen and women, local dignitaries and members of the public.
This particular aircraft, carrying military serial XZ250 and squadron code 426, completed its service life after 32 years and eight days and accumulating 7,667 flying hours with 702, 815 and 829 squadrons and nine ship’s flights operating around the world. It is displayed in the colours of the Black Cats display team.
The Lynx was formally unveiled of its battle ensign by Commodore Paul Chivers OBE RN, the Commanding Officer of RNAS Yeovilton and Lt Cdr Russ Clark, a Lynx Observer who flew the aircraft, as well as being husband and coach of Olympian Sailor Lt Cdr Penny Clark.
Commodore Chivers said: “This Lynx is a reminder to all visitors to the marina of the Royal Navy’s connections to Portland and the Fleet Air Arm’s activities around the world.”
The Portland Marina Gate Guardian will remain in place throughout the Olympics in 2012 as a reminder of the long association of the Fleet Air Arm with Portland.
Jeremy Parkin - HeliHub.com
- HeliRussia – First Kamov Ka62 to fly by August
- HeliRussia – Transas Aviation to provide locally-made GPS for Bell 407, 429
- HeliRussia – Exclases Holdings signs for a GrandNew
- HeliRussia – Exclases signs for five AW139s
- HeliRussia – Russia-Peru certification agreement opens up opportunties for Helisur
- HeliRussia – Russian Helicopters signs agreement with PANH Helicopters
- HeliRussia – Bell expands in Russia
- Helipad in Woodruff to be Discussed Again
- Dart launches Rear Locker Extender for B206 and B407
- Bell-Boeing awarded $40M for long-lead V-22 components
- Night Flight Concepts Launches Industry Specific NVIS Solution Programs
- Kaweah Delta hosts helipad completion celebration
- Register Update – USA – week to 12 May 2013
- Breeze-Eastern to Design and Produce New Winch for MV-22
- RBC makes C$500K donation to STARS
- TAI shows R300 unmanned helicopter
- FLIR Systems awarded $81M US Army contract
- Royal Canadian Air Force begins TigerEx 2013
- Helmet saves Otago helicopter pilot’s life
- Pilot missing after Shandong helicopter hijacked by 20 men