A Westland Lynx has recently been put on display outside Portland Marina, on the UK's south coast. Previously the site of Royal Naval Air Station HMS Osprey, the Marina will be the venue for the sailing events of the London Olympics in 2012. At an event hosted by marina owners Dean and Reddyhoff, the helicopter was unveiled in front of servicemen and women, local dignitaries and members of the public.
This particular aircraft, carrying military serial XZ250 and squadron code 426, completed its service life after 32 years and eight days and accumulating 7,667 flying hours with 702, 815 and 829 squadrons and nine ship’s flights operating around the world. It is displayed in the colours of the Black Cats display team.
The Lynx was formally unveiled of its battle ensign by Commodore Paul Chivers OBE RN, the Commanding Officer of RNAS Yeovilton and Lt Cdr Russ Clark, a Lynx Observer who flew the aircraft, as well as being husband and coach of Olympian Sailor Lt Cdr Penny Clark.
Commodore Chivers said: “This Lynx is a reminder to all visitors to the marina of the Royal Navy’s connections to Portland and the Fleet Air Arm’s activities around the world.”
The Portland Marina Gate Guardian will remain in place throughout the Olympics in 2012 as a reminder of the long association of the Fleet Air Arm with Portland.
Jeremy Parkin - HeliHub.com
- EBACE – Eurocopter launches EC175 with VIP/executive interior
- NZ heliski firm fined $6,000
- Vector Aerospace showcases GEMS engine management program at EBACE
- SHG receives its 70th Eurocopter
- Bristow Group Announces 25% Dividend Increase
- FLIR Systems wins $23M US Coast Guard order
- Swiss air ambulances at war – Rega v TCS
- Air Methods Reaches Highest Level in FAA’s Safety Management System Program
- CAE-built Lynx full-mission flight trainer celebrates 25 years of service
- Universal Avionics Expands International Repair Capabilities for the EFI-890R/890H
- Soloy sells 12 Honeywell engine kits for Chinese AC311 helicopter
- CALSTAR appoints new Chief Pilot
- Universal Avionics Announces New Warranty Program
- Barco unveils new US Training/Simulation Demo Center
- UK Apache Hellfire missiles restocked in £15M deal
- Branding Iron hires new PR/Marketing Coordinator
- Register Update – USA – week to 19 May 2013
- New Helicopter Base in Valdosta Aimed at Saving Lives
- UK – Castle Air opens new base at Biggin Hill
- Ka-226T completes test EMS missions for Winter Olympics in Sochi