In a ceremony on Tuesday at Warsaw's Okecie Airport, the Polish Air Force VIP squadron 36SPLT (Specjalnego PuÅ‚ku Lotnictwa Transportowego = Special Air Transport Regiment) was disbanded.
The ceremony was attended by Deputy Minister of Defence Czeslaw Mroczek, Chief of General Staff of the Polish Army General Mieczyslaw Cieniuch, Air Force Commander Lt. Gen. pil. Lech Majewski, representatives of the Prime Minister, the Sejm and the Polish Senate, local authorities, directors of companies and institutions who have worked with 36SPLT , representatives of the uniformed services, clergy, associations, veterans, retired military, former professional soldiers at rest and Reserve and their families.
The announcement of the disbandment was made back in August last year following the investigation report into the crash of one of the unit's Tupolev Tu154 which crashed in April 2010 at Smolensk in Russia killing all 96 on board - including the country's President, his wife and various high-ranking military and political leaders. The report put the majority of the blame on Polish officials and procedures, although not absolving Russian ATC or the weather for contributing. This led to the resignation of Polish Defence Minister Bogdan Klich.
Aside from a range of fixed-wing aircraft, 36SPLT operated Mil Mi-8 and Pezetel W-3 Sokol helicopters as well as a pair of Bell 412s, one of which is seen in the accompanying photo.
Jeremy Parkin - HeliHub.com
- 14-Jun-13 PR-HRZ Bell 212 Teffe, Brazil (2F)
- Tanzania Approves Starlite’s Air Service Licence
- Dart announces skidtube step for medium Bells
- RSG awarded three-year Houston Police Bell 412 component support contract
- 07-Jun-13 Bell 412 Katupotha, Sri Lanka
- Vector Aerospace proposes avionics update for Canada’s 412s
- Argentine Air Force to add two Bell 412s
- Bell showcases versatile aircraft at AeroExpo 2013
- Uniflight win US Park Police maintenance contract
- Uniflight to maintain Houston Police Bell 412
- AeroSimulators to support Bond and INAER simulators
- Community opposes Nowra air ambulance move
- Norwegian military station two Bell 412s at Bardufoss
- 27-Mar-13 PT-HUW Bell 412 Campos Basin, Brazil
- Australian Helicopters wins two Queensland EMS contracts
- Van Horn to develop composite tail blades for Bell 212/412
- BLR sells 600th FastFin System
- FlightSafety now offers B212/412/430 training in Dallas
- Starlite lease in two Bell 412s for Namibia contract
- Canadian military reports on CH-146 Griffon accident of July 6th 2009