In a ceremony on Tuesday at Warsaw’s Okecie Airport, the Polish Air Force VIP squadron 36SPLT (Specjalnego PuÅ‚ku Lotnictwa Transportowego = Special Air Transport Regiment) was disbanded.
The ceremony was attended by Deputy Minister of Defence Czeslaw Mroczek, Chief of General Staff of the Polish Army General Mieczyslaw Cieniuch, Air Force Commander Lt. Gen. pil. Lech Majewski, representatives of the Prime Minister, the Sejm and the Polish Senate, local authorities, directors of companies and institutions who have worked with 36SPLT , representatives of the uniformed services, clergy, associations, veterans, retired military, former professional soldiers at rest and Reserve and their families.
The announcement of the disbandment was made back in August last year following the investigation report into the crash of one of the unit’s Tupolev Tu154 which crashed in April 2010 at Smolensk in Russia killing all 96 on board – including the country’s President, his wife and various high-ranking military and political leaders.Â The report put the majority of the blame on Polish officials and procedures, although not absolving Russian ATC or the weather for contributing.Â This led to the resignation of Polish Defence Minister Bogdan Klich.
Aside from a range of fixed-wing aircraft, 36SPLT operated Mil Mi-8 and Pezetel W-3 Sokol helicopters as well as a pair of Bell 412s, one of which is seen in the accompanying photo.
Jeremy Parkin – HeliHub.com
Polish Air Force disbands 36SPLT VIP unit
- 10-Apr-15 5N-GEJ Bell 412EP Lagos, Nigeria
- Heli-One MRO services receive Korean approval
- Questions raised over age of US Park Police helicopter
- Snowy Hydro SouthCare appoints high-profile CEO
- 25-Mar-15 Bell 412 Sanaa, Yemen
- Bell delivers 412EP to Nishi Nippon Airlines
- Pakistan – Punjab Government picks Mi-17 over Bell 412
- INAER wins firefighting contract with four Bell 412s
- Tempest Aviation Group plans service expansion with Quantum MRO and Logistics Software
- Trinidad and Tobago orders four 429s and one 412EPI
- BLR Aerospace Delivers 850th FastFin System; Military Demand Continues to Grow
- Flightsafety International to increase its Fleet of Advanced Helicopter Simulators By Over 40%
- Bell enhances 412EPI capabilities
- Bell outlines Heli-Expo coverage
- Peru buys Dutch SAR Bell 412 fleet
- Honduras President upgrades with new Bell 412EP
- Netherlands retires SAR Agusta-Bell 412 fleet
- Bell Announces Leadership Changes
- NSW Police launches new Bell 412EPI as “Polair 5″
- Abu Dhabi Aviation purchases full-flight Bell 412EP simulator