In a ceremony on Tuesday at Warsaw’s Okecie Airport, the Polish Air Force VIP squadron 36SPLT (Specjalnego PuÅ‚ku Lotnictwa Transportowego = Special Air Transport Regiment) was disbanded.
The ceremony was attended by Deputy Minister of Defence Czeslaw Mroczek, Chief of General Staff of the Polish Army General Mieczyslaw Cieniuch, Air Force Commander Lt. Gen. pil. Lech Majewski, representatives of the Prime Minister, the Sejm and the Polish Senate, local authorities, directors of companies and institutions who have worked with 36SPLT , representatives of the uniformed services, clergy, associations, veterans, retired military, former professional soldiers at rest and Reserve and their families.
The announcement of the disbandment was made back in August last year following the investigation report into the crash of one of the unit’s Tupolev Tu154 which crashed in April 2010 at Smolensk in Russia killing all 96 on board – including the country’s President, his wife and various high-ranking military and political leaders.Â The report put the majority of the blame on Polish officials and procedures, although not absolving Russian ATC or the weather for contributing.Â This led to the resignation of Polish Defence Minister Bogdan Klich.
Aside from a range of fixed-wing aircraft, 36SPLT operated Mil Mi-8 and Pezetel W-3 Sokol helicopters as well as a pair of Bell 412s, one of which is seen in the accompanying photo.
Jeremy Parkin – HeliHub.com
- RACQ CareFlight Rescue marks 24 years
- FAA certifies Onboard Systems Non-Rotating hooks for Bell 204, 205, 212 and 412
- Punjab Government VVIP choice is between Mi-17 and Bell 412
- Four Bell 412EP approved for Argentina
- FlightSafety Bell 212/412 Level-D simulator enters service in Dallas
- 25-Oct-15 FAH-977 Bell 412EP Ocotepeque, Honduras
- Lord Corporation starts Bell 412 spindle exchange program
- BLR Aerospace appoints European FastFin distributor
- Korean Police contract Heli-One for 5000 hour inspection on two Bell 412s
- EASA approves Aeronautical Accessories products for Bell 407, 212, 412 and 429
- 06-Sep-15 I-CFAC Agusta-Bell 412EP Montecristo, Italy
- SouthCare helicopter records busiest year on record with 509 missions
- LORD Institutes Groundbreaking Warranty for Bell 412 Operators
- Bell delivers last 412EP to Philippines Air Force
- 15-Aug-15 N120LA Bell 412EP Whittier, US-California
- Able launches two new solutions for the Bell 412 pivot bearing
- Onboard Systems extends TBOs on medium Bell cargo hooks
- LAPD selects FlightSafety for Bell 412 training
- 11-Jul-15 C-FWTK Bell 412 Slave Lake, Canada
- Erickson Secures Uruguayan Air Force Flight Training Contract