In a ceremony on Tuesday at Warsaw’s Okecie Airport, the Polish Air Force VIP squadron 36SPLT (Specjalnego PuÅ‚ku Lotnictwa Transportowego = Special Air Transport Regiment) was disbanded.
The ceremony was attended by Deputy Minister of Defence Czeslaw Mroczek, Chief of General Staff of the Polish Army General Mieczyslaw Cieniuch, Air Force Commander Lt. Gen. pil. Lech Majewski, representatives of the Prime Minister, the Sejm and the Polish Senate, local authorities, directors of companies and institutions who have worked with 36SPLT , representatives of the uniformed services, clergy, associations, veterans, retired military, former professional soldiers at rest and Reserve and their families.
The announcement of the disbandment was made back in August last year following the investigation report into the crash of one of the unit’s Tupolev Tu154 which crashed in April 2010 at Smolensk in Russia killing all 96 on board – including the country’s President, his wife and various high-ranking military and political leaders.Â The report put the majority of the blame on Polish officials and procedures, although not absolving Russian ATC or the weather for contributing.Â This led to the resignation of Polish Defence Minister Bogdan Klich.
Aside from a range of fixed-wing aircraft, 36SPLT operated Mil Mi-8 and Pezetel W-3 Sokol helicopters as well as a pair of Bell 412s, one of which is seen in the accompanying photo.
Jeremy Parkin – HeliHub.com
- Long Standing Bell Customer Celebrates 50th Anniversary
- RAC Rescue Helicopter reaches 5000 milestone
- Bell Strengthens Customer Support Capabilities in Europe
- Bell 412EPI Enters Into Service in Japan with Aomori Prefecture
- Able Aerospace adds Agusta-Bell 412 to capabilities
- Air ambulance service inaugurated in Gozo with Bell 412
- Aeronautical Accessories Adds Bell 412 Crew Mobility Restraint Kit
- Bell 412EPI demonstrated to Vietnamese operator
- FlightSafety to offer NVG training on simulators
- Bell 412EPI Participates in Royal Thai Army Aviation Day
- Bell demonstrates 412EPI to Nepalese Army
- Cobham signs 18-month military test flight contract with QinetiQ
- Bell Singapore completes 5,000hr inspections on two Australian 412s
- EASA approves VIH Aerospace MCP01 Master Caution Panel
- Bell starts five month Asia Pacific tour with 412EPi
- UK SAR Training Unit renamed
- Abu Dhabi Aviation reaches 1,000,000 hours on Bell fleet
- Bell launches 412SP to 412HP upgrade kit
- Canada approves Onboard Systems Non-Rotating Cargo Hooks for Bell 204, 205, 212, 412
- Bell approves VIH Aerospace Bell-Medium Tailboom Fixture