In a ceremony on Tuesday at Warsaw's Okecie Airport, the Polish Air Force VIP squadron 36SPLT (Specjalnego PuÅ‚ku Lotnictwa Transportowego = Special Air Transport Regiment) was disbanded.
The ceremony was attended by Deputy Minister of Defence Czeslaw Mroczek, Chief of General Staff of the Polish Army General Mieczyslaw Cieniuch, Air Force Commander Lt. Gen. pil. Lech Majewski, representatives of the Prime Minister, the Sejm and the Polish Senate, local authorities, directors of companies and institutions who have worked with 36SPLT , representatives of the uniformed services, clergy, associations, veterans, retired military, former professional soldiers at rest and Reserve and their families.
The announcement of the disbandment was made back in August last year following the investigation report into the crash of one of the unit's Tupolev Tu154 which crashed in April 2010 at Smolensk in Russia killing all 96 on board - including the country's President, his wife and various high-ranking military and political leaders. The report put the majority of the blame on Polish officials and procedures, although not absolving Russian ATC or the weather for contributing. This led to the resignation of Polish Defence Minister Bogdan Klich.
Aside from a range of fixed-wing aircraft, 36SPLT operated Mil Mi-8 and Pezetel W-3 Sokol helicopters as well as a pair of Bell 412s, one of which is seen in the accompanying photo.
Jeremy Parkin - HeliHub.com
- Heli Protection Europe buys Entrol simulator based on Bell 412
- Bell approves Lord for 412 Spindle Bearing Re-bond Repair
- Philippines signs for eight Bell 412s
- Government FastFin Sales Soar at BLR Aerospace
- 22-Mar-14 VH-WSR Bell 412EP Newcastle, Australia
- New Bell 412EPI products receive STC approval
- Bell sold 196 helicopters at Heli-Expo 2014, including 171 JRX
- Bell delivers two 412EPs to Petroleum Air Services
- Northrop Grumman extends agreement with Bell to supply B412 navigation system
- EASA approves Onboard Systems Bell 204-412 Cargo Hook Retention System
- Chongqing General Aviation buys two 412s and two 407s
- 06-Feb-14 AN-137 Bell 412EP Mansukum, Panama (1F)
- Dart launches 39-inch Extended Height Gear for Bell 412
- Bell commercial deliveries 13% up in 2013, profits down 10%
- INAER Spain renews Balearic EMS contract with Bell 412
- Conklin & de Decker Release Life Cycle Cost 2014
- 22-Jan-14 HA-5166 Bell 412EP Long Tulip, Indonesia
- Tiger Tugs launch 12,000lb helicopter mover
- INAER wins four-year Madrid EMS contract with AW109 and Bell 412
- Colombian Navy takes delivery of two Bell 412EPs