American Eurocopter today announced the purchase of an EC135â„¢ helicopter by the Broward County Sheriffâ€™s Office (BCSO) in Florida, the third EC135 in its fleet and the fourth Eurocopter aircraft overall.
The BCSO helicopter is an eye in the sky for deputies on the street and a vital lifesaving tool in medical emergencies. Last year BCSO helicopters flew 3,557 total missions, contributing to 498 arrests, and transporting 214 seriously injured patients to local trauma centers.
Two of BCSO’s EC135 helicopters were built in 1999 and the third helicopter, an EC130, was built in 2003. The addition of the fourth aircraft will allow mechanics to rotate the helicopters for maintenance and extend the life of the fleet by spreading the total flight time between more aircraft.
â€œWe’ve flown our aircraft nearly 8,000 hours,” said Sgt. Dale Owens, who heads up the BCSO aviation unit. â€œThe new helicopter will allow BCSO to safely stay on top of police and medical emergencies in Broward County, and we will not have to hire new pilots or mechanics to do it.â€
The Broward County Sheriffâ€™s Office introduced the EC135 in U.S. law enforcement service, equipping the helicopter with a Night Sun illumination system, forward-looking infrared (FLIR) camera and LO-JACK tracker.
The EC135 is one of the most popular twin-engine law enforcement helicopters worldwide, combining excellent twin-engine performance with a low noise signature, approximately 7 db below ICAO standards. This level represents a perceivable noise reduction of approximately 50 percent compared to older-generation helicopters in the same category â€“ which is of particular importance to customers regularly flying over cities and in densely-populated areas, including emergency medical services and law enforcement agencies. The EC135â€™s unobstructed cabin, large rear clamshell doors and flat floor allow for easy reconfiguration.
- Boeing to Train Australian Army and Navy Helicopter Pilots for Next 25 Years
- Bond chooses Britannia 2000 CAMC for NPAS EC135s
- Western Power Distribution Selects EC135P2e
- Aiut Alpin Dolomites receives first EC135 T3/P3
- Metro delivers its 200th EC135 completion
- Head-on collision is 20,000th mission for Wales Air Ambulance
- New training system for ADF helicopter crews
- Airbus Helicopters’ EC135 T3/P3 Receives EASA Certification
- Great Western Air Ambulance upgrades to EC135
- Airbus to move helicopter production from Germany to France?
- Airbus Helicopters delivers China’s first fully-equipped air ambulance
- CarteNav to provide intuitive AIMS mission system software for UK National Police Air Service
- Wales Air Ambulance gets Government commitment for doctors on all flights
- PDG Helicopters wins combined British/Irish lighthouse support contract
- Hampshire and IOW Air Ambulance to upgrade to night-capable EC135T3
- East Anglian Air Ambulance supports British Medical Journal research
- JSSI covers Blackcomb Aviation EC135T2e Engines
- Metro Aviation closer to HeliSAS STC for EC135
- Metro Aviation Delivers EC135 to Life Air Rescue
- Puerto Rico fails to pay – last air ambulance closes down