Sikorsky Aircraft Corporation, a subsidiary of United Technologies Corp. (NYSE:UTX), has announced a contract with the Korea Coast Guard for one S-92Â® helicopter for operation with their Multi-Purpose Helicopter Program. The aircraft will become the newest addition to the growing worldwide fleet of S-92 search and rescue and multi-mission helicopters.
The aircraft is scheduled to be delivered in December 2013.
â€œThe Korea Coast Guard had indicated a need for an aircraft that offers increased operational capability for search and rescue, emergency medical services, maritime security, and personnel transport, and Sikorsky was able to demonstrate that its S-92 helicopter has a proven track record in each of these important missions,â€ said Robert Kokorda, Sikorsky Vice President of SalesÂ & Marketing. â€œThis is yet another example of customers who operate in the most demanding environments and conditions for critical missions continuing to choose the S-92 helicopter.â€
Sikorsky executives and the Director of the Korea Coast Guard, Kang In Mo, formalized the purchase on Dec. 19, 2011 in conjunction with the Multipurpose Heavy Helicopter Purchase Program.
Sikorsky Aircraft was one of three contenders in the selection process. The Korea Coast Guard has expressed an interest in adding three more S-92 helicopters in the coming years to the Multi-purpose Helicopter Program.
The contracted S-92 SAR helicopter is the most modern helicopter in its class, offering the newest capabilities for long distance search and rescue missions with more than 1,000 kilometers of range and up to six hours of endurance in the air.
As a dedicated search and rescue platform, the S-92 aircraft is equipped with advanced systems and hardware, including an automated flight control system that enables the pilot to fly pre-programmed search patterns and perform delicate hover maneuvers; a wireless intercom allowing a rescue swimmer to communicate with the crew; radio transceivers to communicate with ships, police and other emergency rescue services; a weather radar; a forward looking infrared sensor; and a digital video system to record rescues. The aircraft also comes with a dual rescue hoist, single or dual 220-gallon internal auxiliary fuel tanks, three litters, and a Spectrolab rescue searchlight.
Sikorsky has delivered 151 S-92 aircraft to operators worldwide since 2004. Of those aircraft, 25 are engaged in SAR operations. The 151-aircraft fleet has accumulated a total of 370,000 flight hours. Aircraft availability stands at 95 percent.
Sikorsky Aircraft Corp., based in Stratford, Conn., USA, is a world leader in helicopter design, manufacture, and service. United Technologies Corp., based in Hartford, Conn., USA, provides a broad range of high technology products and support services to the aerospace and building systems industries.
- CHC Orders New Aircraft to Support SAR Services in Norway
- CHC Brazil Opens New Hangar in Macaé
- Waypoint Delivers 2 helicopters to Omni
- HNZ Group announces offshore SAR contract in Australia
- 02-May-17 G-MCGG Sikorsky S92 Kirkfieldbank, UK
- CHC Wins Contract with Providence Resources PLC
- Bristow announces Apache contract award
- Sikorsky Recognizes Brunei Shell Petroleum for 50 Years of Continuous Service
- Sikorsky plans Customer Support Centre in Thailand
- Sky-Futures and Bristow Conduct Successful Interoperability Flight Test
- HNZ Group announces contract to support Nova Scotia offshore operations
- Heli-One Introduces External Operations Visual Monitoring Upgrade for Sikorsky S-92
- Sikorsky Launches Safety Enhancement Program with PHi and Outerlink
- Sikorsky launches Flight Crew Operating Manuals for S92 and S76D
- Milestone Provides two S92s and five S76Ds to Thai Aviation Services
- VIH Offering its Full Suite of S92 STC Products
- HNZ and PHi to fly up to four S-92s in Australian JV
- Perfect storm – Sikorsky grounds S92
- CHC to Provide 3 Additional Aircraft to Shell
- Milestone Leases S-92 to Omni Táxi Aéreo