Sikorsky Aircraft Corporation, a subsidiary of United Technologies Corp. (NYSE:UTX), has announced a contract with the Korea Coast Guard for one S-92Â® helicopter for operation with their Multi-Purpose Helicopter Program. The aircraft will become the newest addition to the growing worldwide fleet of S-92 search and rescue and multi-mission helicopters.
The aircraft is scheduled to be delivered in December 2013.
â€œThe Korea Coast Guard had indicated a need for an aircraft that offers increased operational capability for search and rescue, emergency medical services, maritime security, and personnel transport, and Sikorsky was able to demonstrate that its S-92 helicopter has a proven track record in each of these important missions,â€ said Robert Kokorda, Sikorsky Vice President of SalesÂ & Marketing. â€œThis is yet another example of customers who operate in the most demanding environments and conditions for critical missions continuing to choose the S-92 helicopter.â€
Sikorsky executives and the Director of the Korea Coast Guard, Kang In Mo, formalized the purchase on Dec. 19, 2011 in conjunction with the Multipurpose Heavy Helicopter Purchase Program.
Sikorsky Aircraft was one of three contenders in the selection process. The Korea Coast Guard has expressed an interest in adding three more S-92 helicopters in the coming years to the Multi-purpose Helicopter Program.
The contracted S-92 SAR helicopter is the most modern helicopter in its class, offering the newest capabilities for long distance search and rescue missions with more than 1,000 kilometers of range and up to six hours of endurance in the air.
As a dedicated search and rescue platform, the S-92 aircraft is equipped with advanced systems and hardware, including an automated flight control system that enables the pilot to fly pre-programmed search patterns and perform delicate hover maneuvers; a wireless intercom allowing a rescue swimmer to communicate with the crew; radio transceivers to communicate with ships, police and other emergency rescue services; a weather radar; a forward looking infrared sensor; and a digital video system to record rescues. The aircraft also comes with a dual rescue hoist, single or dual 220-gallon internal auxiliary fuel tanks, three litters, and a Spectrolab rescue searchlight.
Sikorsky has delivered 151 S-92 aircraft to operators worldwide since 2004. Of those aircraft, 25 are engaged in SAR operations. The 151-aircraft fleet has accumulated a total of 370,000 flight hours. Aircraft availability stands at 95 percent.
Sikorsky Aircraft Corp., based in Stratford, Conn., USA, is a world leader in helicopter design, manufacture, and service. United Technologies Corp., based in Hartford, Conn., USA, provides a broad range of high technology products and support services to the aerospace and building systems industries.
- Waypoint Leasing Closes 31 Aircraft Acquisition from First Reserve
- Victoria’s New Heli-Hangar: A Building to Die for?
- CAE and Lider Aviacao launch Sikorsky S-92 training in Sao Paulo
- Sikorsky Celebrates 30th Anniversary in China at Zhuhai Air Show
- COHC accepts delivery of its first Sikorsky S-92
- Milestone finances 11 S92s and an AW189 for Bristow UK SAR fleet
- Waypoint Leasing acquires 31 CHC aircraft to surpass $1 Billion of assets
- Bristow ramp up SAR S92 fleet in readiness for national UK contract
- Total E&P awards CHC long-term North Sea contract
- V1062 Heli-Carrier for wheeled helicopters operating on oil platforms
- Havelock Europa to provide Furniture Fittings and Equipment for new Bristow SAR bases
- Associated Aircraft Group Celebrates 25 Years of Helicopter Services
- Sikorsky miss Helitech due to market conditions
- 16-Oct-14 Sikorsky S92 Aberdeen, UK
- 10-Oct-14 Sikorsky S92 Aberdeen, UK
- Victims of Cougar 491 and 1985 Universal Helicopter Crashes Honoured
- Helicopter memorial unveiled in Newfoundland
- CHI Aviation awarded Gulf of Mexico S92 contract
- Vector Aerospace showcases expanded civil sector capabilities at Helitech
- Sikorsky S-92 marks 10 years of service