Sikorsky Aircraft Corporation, a subsidiary of United Technologies Corp. (NYSE:UTX), has announced a contract with the Korea Coast Guard for one S-92Â® helicopter for operation with their Multi-Purpose Helicopter Program. The aircraft will become the newest addition to the growing worldwide fleet of S-92 search and rescue and multi-mission helicopters.
The aircraft is scheduled to be delivered in December 2013.
â€œThe Korea Coast Guard had indicated a need for an aircraft that offers increased operational capability for search and rescue, emergency medical services, maritime security, and personnel transport, and Sikorsky was able to demonstrate that its S-92 helicopter has a proven track record in each of these important missions,â€ said Robert Kokorda, Sikorsky Vice President of SalesÂ & Marketing. â€œThis is yet another example of customers who operate in the most demanding environments and conditions for critical missions continuing to choose the S-92 helicopter.â€
Sikorsky executives and the Director of the Korea Coast Guard, Kang In Mo, formalized the purchase on Dec. 19, 2011 in conjunction with the Multipurpose Heavy Helicopter Purchase Program.
Sikorsky Aircraft was one of three contenders in the selection process. The Korea Coast Guard has expressed an interest in adding three more S-92 helicopters in the coming years to the Multi-purpose Helicopter Program.
The contracted S-92 SAR helicopter is the most modern helicopter in its class, offering the newest capabilities for long distance search and rescue missions with more than 1,000 kilometers of range and up to six hours of endurance in the air.
As a dedicated search and rescue platform, the S-92 aircraft is equipped with advanced systems and hardware, including an automated flight control system that enables the pilot to fly pre-programmed search patterns and perform delicate hover maneuvers; a wireless intercom allowing a rescue swimmer to communicate with the crew; radio transceivers to communicate with ships, police and other emergency rescue services; a weather radar; a forward looking infrared sensor; and a digital video system to record rescues. The aircraft also comes with a dual rescue hoist, single or dual 220-gallon internal auxiliary fuel tanks, three litters, and a Spectrolab rescue searchlight.
Sikorsky has delivered 151 S-92 aircraft to operators worldwide since 2004. Of those aircraft, 25 are engaged in SAR operations. The 151-aircraft fleet has accumulated a total of 370,000 flight hours. Aircraft availability stands at 95 percent.
Sikorsky Aircraft Corp., based in Stratford, Conn., USA, is a world leader in helicopter design, manufacture, and service. United Technologies Corp., based in Hartford, Conn., USA, provides a broad range of high technology products and support services to the aerospace and building systems industries.
- Second Bristow S92 arrives at Newquay for UK SAR contract
- FlightSafety offers new SAR course for S92 pilots
- Sikorsky details completion of some Presidential VH-92A milestones
- First Bristow SAR S92 arrives at Prestwick
- Lockheed Martin to close Sikorsky deal on Friday
- Bristow SAR S92s arrive in Newquay in preparation for January start
- Era Group Begins S92 Flight Operations
- EASA approves CAE Brunei Training Centre
- 10-Oct-15 Sikorsky S92 St John’s, Canada
- Heli-One adds S92 blade service capability in Norway
- 06-Oct-15 Sikorsky S92 Hibernia rig, Canada
- Bristow to import four more SAR S92s in place of AW189s
- Bristow S92 responds to 100 callouts in first two months at Caernarfon
- CAE Brunei Multi-Purpose Training Centre plans to become ATO
- 01-Sep-15 C-GFCH Sikorsky S92 St Johns, Canada
- 01-Sep-15 Sikorsky S92 St John’s, Canada
- Lider does sale and leaseback on S92 with Waypoint Leasing
- Bristow starts UK SAR operations from Caernarfon and Lydd
- 30-Jun-15 St John’s, Canada
- Era Group Inc. Expands S-92® Helicopter Fleet Opens Super Base