An inquest in Belfast into the fatal crash of an A109A, registered N2NR, heard today that the GPWS (Ground Proximity Warning System) was not switched on.
A lawyer for the inquiry, Ronan Daly, told the inquest in Belfast that the GPWS "was not actually in use (and that) it was not the requirement for a helicopter to operate that it should be using the system and the alerts that the system would (produce) could be regarded as a nuisance to those on board,".
Charles Stisted, Ian Wooldridge, and pilot Anthony Smith died when the aircraft hit Shanlieve Mountain on 23rd October 2010. One of the deceased, Mr Stisted, was chief executive of the Guards Polo Club at Windsor and a personal friend of the Prince of Wales. Helicopter owner Ian Wooldridge, also a Guards Polo Club member, had interestes in property developments in both Belfast and Dublin.
Last week Mr Stisted's widow launched a legal case for damages of £300,000 against the pilot's widow, "for a catalogue of errors that caused the disaster". Court papers also show the Stisteds are suing the family and the executors of Mr Wooldridge on the grounds that they were responsible for the negligence of the pilot they employed.
Jeremy Parkin - HeliHub.com
- UK AAIB Bulletin – November 2011
- Legal case as reported by the Evening Standard
- Legal case as reported by the Daily Express
Photo of the actual aircraft N2NR is credit to and copyright of Les Rickman. Reproduced on HeliHub.com with his permission
- UK – Castle Air opens new base at Biggin Hill
- HeliRussia – Exclases Holdings signs for a GrandNew
- Royal Air Force VIP flight reduced to one AW109E
- Mexico orders six GrandNew for Presidential flight
- AgustaWestland to Exhibit at EHS
- Australia – Linfox receives sixth new AgustaWestland helicopter in 13 years
- Summit Air Ambulance rolling after successful first year
- 29-Mar-13 AgustaWestland A109LUH Kruger, South Africa (5F)
- UK – Hayward & Green launch A109 component support programme
- Helidecks releases cockpit guide/checklist iPad apps for AW109 and R44
- Helicopter crash – central London UK
- 16-Jan-13 G-CRST AgustaWestland AW109E Vauxhall, UK (2F)
- 15-Dec-12 07 AgustaWestland AW109E Okoroba, Nigeria (6F)
- 30-Sep-12 N144CF AgustaWestland AW109E Eastland, US-Texas
- RSG completes certification of AW109 secondary digital altimeter
- 17-Sep-12 N901EM AgustaWestland AW109E US-Maine
- 10-Aug-12 G-MEDX AgustaWestland AW109E Corby, UK
- FB Heliservices wins two year Albanian training contract
- 28-Jul-12 XA-UQH AgustaWestland AW109SP Cerro Alpino, Mexico (3F)
- 17-Jul-12 N716AM Agusta A109A Niihau, US-Hawaii