At their meeting on 16 February Sussex Police Authority celebrated a victory for the people of Sussex. The Authority, who had rejected a proposal for a National Police Air Service (NPAS) at a meeting last year, has succeeded in securing the best possible police air service for the people of Sussex. The original proposal would have seen the police helicopter unit move its current base in Shoreham to Dunsfold in Surrey. This move would have seen a large proportion of East Sussex receiving a service that would have seen a reduction in the time it would take the helicopter to reach them.
Despite considerable national pressure Sussex Police Authority demanded that a rethink took place. The NPAS delivery team did so and the new proposal is that the air unit move from Shoreham to Redhill. This move will mean that all residents in Sussex will be reached within the critical twenty minutes.
Steve Waight, Chairman of Sussex Police Authority, said: "This scheme is far superior to the previous proposal and I'm glad that the Authority has held its ground and that NPAS have a change of heart over the location of the South East air support unit. By standing firm on this we have managed to get a better service for the people of Sussex."
This proposal was discussed at the full Police Authority meeting on 16 February, where the Authority also set the police budget, the Local Policing Plan and the Council Tax precept. To read the papers click here and to watch the meeting click here.
- R66 lands at North Pole
- Nine new customers in China for Enstrom
- Eurocopter to supply EC225 and AS350B3e to China’s State Grid General Aviation Company
- CAE upgrades visuals on Royal Navy Lynx Mk8 full-mission simulator
- Keystone Med-Flight Announces New VP of Operations
- Fourth corporate AW139 sold into UK market
- REACH adds sixth EC135
- Enstrom breaks ground on production plant expansion
- Bell promotes innovation at AHS Forum 69
- HAI at AHS Forum 69
- Court rejects helicopter haze injunction
- Rivalry develops in air ambulance service
- Castleberry Instruments & Avionics Relocates for Growth
- Keystone Turbine Services Honeywell-approved for P&WC PT6 Series Accessory Support
- EBACE – Heli Asset places first Eurocopter EC155B1 into Switzerland
- EBACE – Corporate EC175 features dimmable windows and cabin partitions
- EBACE – JSSI reaches 10,000th Asset Milestone
- EBACE – Eurocopter launches EC175 with VIP/executive interior
- NZ heliski firm fined $6,000
- Vector Aerospace showcases GEMS engine management program at EBACE