Specialist Aviation Services (SAS), the UK based emergency services and utility operator, is celebrating this week having achieved 100,000 flying hours with the MD 902 Explorer.
The group is the largest operator of MD902 Explorers in the world and first introduced the type into the UK in 1998 as a dual-roled Police and Air Ambulance helicopter.
SAS now supports over 20 Explorers flying in a variety of roles across the UK – this fleet also having amassed over a quarter of a million flights. Several of the Explorers are operating 24 hours a day and achieving between 1200 and 1500 flying hours per annum.
Henk Schaeken, Group Managing Director said, “Reaching this level of utilisation demonstrates the significant role that the Explorer plays for our customers in the industry.
“We now have over 30 engineers operating in and around the UK, and comprehensive spares holdings at our Gloucestershire headquarters.
“Also, our significant experience with the MD 902 means that we have been able to develop technical enhancements locally, driving component extensions and streamlining maintenance programmes. These all help to further enhance the reliability and maintainability of the fleet as the hours continue to build.”
The group which operates in the air ambulance, police and utility markets, is anticipating further growth in its Explorer fleet and in its broader fleet of aircraft types in the coming months as the industry continues to develop.
- FirstGroup pledges £100K to London’s Air Ambulance
- Yorkshire Air Ambulance MD902 AOG for 7 months
- Yorkshire Air Ambulance paramedics help design revolutionary kit bags
- London’s Air Ambulance – new offices are rent-free
- London Air Ambulance founder Alastair Wilson retires
- Yorkshire Air Ambulance paramedics get approval to use powerful painkiller
- London’s Air Ambulance to use 4G to enhance service
- London’s Air Ambulance moves charity office
- London’s Air Ambulance partners with International SOS
- London’s Air Ambulance in TV series starting Thursday
- London’s Air Ambulance Turns To City For Funding
- Cornwall Air Ambulance switches operator away from Bond
- MD announces Next Generation of Technology Advancements for Explorer
- FAA approves MD902 gross weight increase to 6,770 pounds
- Yorkshire Air Ambulance praised by top children¹s doctor
- Airexcell Sells first MD902 Into Canada to Ascent Helicopters
- Qatar – Hamad Medical to buy three larger EMS helicopters
- Exclusive – London’s Air Ambulance new livery
- London’s Air Ambulance to move base
- Big Interview: New CEO at London’s Air Ambulance