The Microturbo (Safran group) e-APU60 has successfully completed its first flight tests as part of the AgustaWestland AW189 helicopter certification campaign. Initially designed for new-generation more-electric business jets, the e-APU60 is a new concept of auxiliary power unit characterized by an excellent power-to-weight ratio and its exceptional compactness. It also meets the high demands of new-generation helicopters.
The successful in-flight start of the e -APU60 is an important milestone in the test campaign: it is now a part of flight safety (civil certification), with its own reliable capability of restarting the main engines in flight (if necessary) and of enhanced operation providing an additional spare source of power required to cover all electrical needs throughout the flight envelope.
“We and our customer are satisfied with the results obtained during the first in-flight tests of this new concept of power source”, declares Pierre-Yves Morvan, CEO of Microturbo. “The performance achieved by the e-APU60 is up to par with the ambitious goals we set ourselves”.
The e -APU60 also ensures the ground start of the main engines, supplies power for the electrical systems and provides air for the helicopter cabin air-conditioning.
Alongside the flight test campaign, e -APU60 certification is going to schedule. Two further development engines will soon join the five other ones and take part in the particularly rigorous test plan which will run throughout the year. The objectives of these tests are: to simulate the most extreme operating conditions compared to those encountered in normal commercial operation, and to validate the reliability and endurance of the system.
EASA certification of the e -APU60 is expected within one year.
Microturbo, a company of the Safran group, is specialised in the design, development and manufacture of high-technology gas turbines. Based in Toulouse, France, Microturbo is a world leader in the field of propulsion systems and power systems and has delivered over 10,000 units.
Editor note - we have edited this only to correct a misspelling "AugustaWestland" ......
- UK – AgustaWestland to contribute to new Scilly Isles link?
- VIP AW189 interior by superyacht interior designer
- AgustaWestland AW149 / AW189 flight testing in Arizona
- Weststar signs for six AW139 and two AW189 at LIMA 2013
- Bristow to operate SAR AW189s from 2015
- Official – Bristow win UK SAR with ten S92s and ten AW189s
- Reports…. Bristow win UK SAR contract worth £3 Billion
- Waypoint Leasing signs for GrandNew, AW139, AW169 and AW189
- AgustaWestland demonstrates 50 minute gearbox “Run Dry” capability to EASA
- AW189 beats EC175 in UK SAR contest
- AgustaWestland expects UK civil production to take off
- Azerbaijan Airlines orders eight AW139 and two AW189
- Microturbo provides update on e-APU60 certification
- AW189 successfully completes hot-and-high trials
- Era Group signs for five AW189s
- AgustaWestland family of new generation helicopters makes public premiere at Farnborough
- AgustaWestland exhibits AW189 SAR at Farnborough
- Lease Corporation International makes appointment to cover the Americas
- Russia’s Exclases Holdings signs contract for AW169, AW139 and AW189s
- Successful test phase for the Microturbo e-APU60 on AW189