If you would like to savour the luxury of Her Majesty The Queen’s own helicopter, a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity will be available over the Bank Holiday weekend of June 2nd – 4th, when The Helicopter Museum at Weston-super-Mare opens up its Royal Wessex helicopter to visitors. Be sure to bring your children and your camera too.
The Museum is the only one in the country that has two Queen’s Flight helicopters in its collection, which Her Majesty and other members of the Royal Family personally flew in.
Collections Officer John Clews says “The aircraft is resplendent in high gloss livery and with the Royal Cipher on the side so it is a very precious piece of aviation heritage. However we thought there might be many families who would like to sit in the Royal helicopter and have their picture taken as a one-off souvenir on this special occasion”
“This will be the first and probably the only time that access to the cabin will be permitted.
For conservation reasons access to the interior of the aircraft is usually denied but the Museum has decided to make an especial exception for a very limited period to celebrate The Queen’s Diamond Jubilee.
The Queen’s Flight Wessex will be open from 11am until 4pm on Saturday 2nd to Monday 4th June. The Museum itself will be open from 10am to 5.30pm.
HeliHub.com editor note - For readers outside the UK, this year is the 60th anniversary of Queen Elizabeth II becoming Queen, and the celebrations are on all the year through – additional to us hosting the Olympics, of course! The weekend of 2/3 June has two extra public holidays 4/5 June added to it, one of those days a regular public holiday re-timed, and the other specifically for the Queen’s Jubilee
- FAA issues Advisory Circular on Reporting Wildlife Aircraft Strikes
- New E-HOTS support partnership consortium
- VNH South recognised for flight hour milestone as more EC225s arrive
- Heli-One secures multi-million-dollar PBH contract with NHV
- Eurocopter and Ramco partner for cloud-based helicopter maintenance software
- Helipartner Thailand orders 10 Eurocopter AS350B3e to lease out
- Eurocopter EC175 certification slips by six months to “early 2014″
- UK – MBE for AW101 Merlin pilot
- Budget pressures for Flagler County’s Fire Flight AS350
- NRC continues to search for low lead aviation fuel alternatives
- Cassidian’s obstacle warning system certified for NH90
- Selex ES HF communication systems get onboard V-22
- AW189 enters full scale production
- Astronics extends supply agreement with Rockwell Collins
- AAR Signs Partnering Agreement with Boeing to Support Royal Netherlands Air Force
- Ka-52 makes successful demonstration flight at Le Bourget
- Turbomeca extends certification of COHC as a Certified Maintenance Center
- Metro Aviation hosts first Turbomeca training class
- Arizona and Helicopter Industry to be Represented by John Stonecipher of Guidance Aviation
- 19-Jun-13 Bell 47G Maplewood, US-Minnesota (1F)