If you would like to savour the luxury of Her Majesty The Queen’s own helicopter, a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity will be available over the Bank Holiday weekend of June 2nd – 4th, when The Helicopter Museum at Weston-super-Mare opens up its Royal Wessex helicopter to visitors. Be sure to bring your children and your camera too.
The Museum is the only one in the country that has two Queen’s Flight helicopters in its collection, which Her Majesty and other members of the Royal Family personally flew in.
Collections Officer John Clews says “The aircraft is resplendent in high gloss livery and with the Royal Cipher on the side so it is a very precious piece of aviation heritage. However we thought there might be many families who would like to sit in the Royal helicopter and have their picture taken as a one-off souvenir on this special occasion”
“This will be the first and probably the only time that access to the cabin will be permitted.
For conservation reasons access to the interior of the aircraft is usually denied but the Museum has decided to make an especial exception for a very limited period to celebrate The Queen’s Diamond Jubilee.
The Queen’s Flight Wessex will be open from 11am until 4pm on Saturday 2nd to Monday 4th June. The Museum itself will be open from 10am to 5.30pm.
HeliHub.com editor note - For readers outside the UK, this year is the 60th anniversary of Queen Elizabeth II becoming Queen, and the celebrations are on all the year through – additional to us hosting the Olympics, of course! The weekend of 2/3 June has two extra public holidays 4/5 June added to it, one of those days a regular public holiday re-timed, and the other specifically for the Queen’s Jubilee
- Bristow – EC225 situation will last another year or more
- Iraqi Army receives last of 24 Bell 407s
- Argentine Air Force to add two Bell 412s
- EBACE – AgustaWestland pushes VIP-role AW169
- Scotland’s Charity Air Ambulance goes operational
- EBACE – Bell showcases 429
- AHS – Prevailing In “Demanding Environments”
- HAI Participates at HeliRussia 2013
- Bristow publish results for Q4 and Year ended 31st March 2013
- Floating helipad returns to Destin
- R66 lands at North Pole
- Nine new customers in China for Enstrom
- Eurocopter to supply EC225 and AS350B3e to China’s State Grid General Aviation Company
- CAE upgrades visuals on Royal Navy Lynx Mk8 full-mission simulator
- Keystone Med-Flight Announces New VP of Operations
- Fourth corporate AW139 sold into UK market
- REACH adds sixth EC135
- Enstrom breaks ground on production plant expansion
- Bell promotes innovation at AHS Forum 69
- HAI at AHS Forum 69