The European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) has certified the FastFin® Tail Rotor Enhancement and Stability System for installation and flight on Bell 205 helicopters. BLR Aerospace recently received EASA approval for FastFin on Bell 212 helicopters and certification efforts are underway for the Bell 412.
Following up on the successful FastFin certification for Bell 212s, European operators can now realize the same performance improvements on Bell 205s. Hover load, wind azimuth tolerance, hover stability and safety are all now significantly enhanced with the BLR FastFin System.
“With FastFin, most operators will receive between a 10 to 90 percent increase in useful load depending on specific model and density altitude,” said Dave Marone, Vice President of Sales and Marketing for BLR Aerospace. “European operators flying in demanding conditions and challenging environments can expect measurable improvements in safety and reduced pilot workload by adding FastFin to their Bell mediums.”
EASA certification is good news for long-time BLR customer Agrarflug Helilift. Based in Ahlen, Germany, the company operates a large fleet of Bell medium and light helicopters for missions ranging from firefighting to offshore transport. “Agrarflug has been using BLR performance modification products for over eight years, and look forward to installing the recently certified FastFin on our Bell 212s,” according to Technical Manager Hans Kraskes. “We fully expect FastFin to enhance safety and reduce pilot workload while providing better hot and high performance.”
Popular in Europe, the combined fleet of Bell and Agusta Bell mediums total several hundred in number.
In 2010, Bell Helicopter made FastFin standard equipment on new Bell 412EPs, and today, more than 350 FastFin systems are operating worldwide, supporting diverse missions ranging from airborne law enforcement to offshore oil transport.
The system includes two parallel stall strips, known as Dual Tailboom Strakes, on the tailboom and a reshaped vertical fin. FastFin optimizes airflow around the tailboom, dramatically improving tail rotor authority and wind azimuth tolerance. FastFin also reduces operating costs and reduces cycle fatigue in structures and demands on tail rotor rotating components.
About BLR Aerospace
BLR Aerospace is focused on developing the highest performance aerodynamic solutions in the industry, and we back our superior designs with unsurpassed manufacturing quality. Note: BLR is no longer known as Boundary Layer Research and appreciates the news media’s support in accurately using the BLR Aerospace name.
- ASU Announces STC for Bell 205A-1 for Aerial Firefighting
- Cadorath announces 178 new Bell extended repairs
- EASA Approves FastFin for Bell 205s
- 20-Dec-12 HB-RXC Bell UH-1H Rüthi, Switzerland
- 22-Sep-12 N689H Bell 205A-1 La Grande, US-Oregon
- Brazil certifies BLR Aerospace’s FastFin on B204, 205 and 212
- Cadorath Aerospace develops 15 new Bell repairs April 2012
- 13-Apr-12 N17HX Bell 205A-1 Hot Springs, US-Virginia
- Dart announces TC/FAA/EASA approval of run-on wearplates for Bell 205/212/214/412/UH-1H
- FAA approves Vector’s Bell 205/212 “Glass Cockpit” installation
- FAA proposes AD for main rotor yoke on Bell 204/205/212
- FAA AD 2011-23-02 – Bell 205/210/212
- FAA AD 2010-26-52 – Bell 204/205/210/212/412
- 04-Sep-11 N205WW Bell 205 Tehachapi, US-California
- Dart announces Brazilian approval of Heli-Rappel Kit on medium Bells
- Dart announces TC/FAA/EASA approval of their Vertical Reference Door Kit
- ASU receive STC for firefighting Bell 205
- FAA approves Dart LED Pulse Lights for Bell 204/205/210/212/214/412
- Osterman Helicopter win Japan reconstruction contract from Ericsson
- 24-Mar-11 CC-CID Bell 205A-1 San Clemente, Chile