The Ledcor Group of Companies and Wood Buffalo Helicopters announced today that they have concluded an agreement in principle to merge their helicopter businesses and assets in Fort McMurray, Yellowknife and Terrace into a single operating entity, subject to regulatory approval.
“We look forward to combining the talented and experienced teams of employees within Summit Helicopters and Wood Buffalo Helicopters to better serve the Western Canadian market,” said Paul McElligott, President of Ledcor Resources and Transportation. “Both companies complement each other in expertise, fleet, and location.”
Summit Helicopters is part of the Ledcor Group of Companies and operates a fleet of helicopters based in Yellowknife, Northwest Territories and Terrace, British Columbia. Summit Helicopters specializes in arctic operations, mining exploration, crew movements, environmental surveys, business travel and medevac.
“Customer service is what we do best, so our helicopter business has been growing steadily in recent years,” saidMichael Morin, President, Wood Buffalo Helicopters. “More and more of our customers are requesting services beyond the reach of our traditional base of operations. We now look forward to serving them in British Columbia and the North.”
Wood Buffalo Helicopters has over 10 years of vertical lifting experience in Northeast Alberta and operates a fleet of light and intermediate helicopters based in Fort McMurray, Alberta. Wood Buffalo Helicopters specializes in oil & gas field support, surveying, patrol, forest protection, fire-fighting and environment & wildlife operations.
“Subject to regulatory approval of the merger, the brand of the new entity will be Summit Helicopters,” said McElligott, “and, I am pleased that Michael Morin will be levering his extensive experience in rotor operations as the Chief Operating Officer of the new combined business.”
“I am excited by the opportunity to combine the best of Wood Buffalo’s success in the oil sands area with Summit’s success in the North,” said Morin. “Plus, by combining forces we will gain efficiencies on fleet usage, maintenance, administration, and training.”
“One characteristic that was closely aligned with both companies was our focus on safety and the existence of programs that continually enhance and improve safety across our operations,” said McElligott.
“We plan to implement Flight Data Management (FDM) and Health and Usage Monitoring Systems (HUMS) early on in the merger to further increase the reliability and efficiency of our services,” added Morin.
About Wood Buffalo Helicopters
Wood Buffalo Helicopters operates a fleet of light & intermediate helicopters, from our main base in Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada. Wood Buffalo Helicopters is an Approved Maintenance Organization (AMO), holding Transport Canada certification.
Fleet: Bell 206B JetRanger, Eurocopter EC120B Colibri, Eurocopter As350-B2 AStar
About Summit Helicopters
Summit Helicopters is owned and operated by The Ledcor Group of Companies. Ledcor is one of North America’smost diversified construction companies, serving the building, oil & gas, infrastructure, mining, power and telecommunications sectors. Ledcor also owns operations in fixed wing aviation services, forestry, marine transportation, wastewater treatment and property investment.
Fleet: Bell 407, Bell 206, Bell 206 LongRanger L-4, Bell 206 JetRanger, Eurocopter A-Star 350 B3
- Rampart Helicopter Services aims to correct Colorado zoning violation
- Helipad Ceremony for Essentia Health-St. Mary’s Foundation
- Oceania Aviation appointed distributor for H125 maximum view kit
- Air Ambulance Chief Executive receives top honour
- WomenVenture Begins its Second Decade
- HAI expresses concerns about Ligado proposal
- South Carolina NG to help secure Mexican border
- Donaldson to develop AW169 IBF for Leonardo
- ASESA Selects Able as Exclusive Provider
- Meron Awarded Patent for Helicopter Transmission Test Rigs
- Macro Industries awarded $20M contract for V-22 single floor spares
- Hong Kong Government Flying Service receive first H175s
- PHI Announces Offering of Senior Secured Notes Due 2023
- HeliOffshore Consults Flight Instructors and Examiners
- Prabhu added two new Robinson R66 to its fleet; chopper arrives Birgunj Custom
- Fishtail Air gets new official name ‘Summit Helicopters’
- PHI Announces Cash Tender Offer and Consent Solicitation
- NBAA Requests Guidance on Tax Cuts and Jobs Act
- HeliOffshore – HUMS Best Practice Guidelines
- Bristol Sycamore Flies Home After 60 Years