Geisinger Health System recently introduced a new state-of-the-art, twin-engine American Eurocopter EC-145 to its existing fleet of Life Flight air ambulances. This is the fifth EC-145 helicopter in the Life Flight fleet, part of an ongoing commitment to provide the best quality critical care to residents in central and northeastern Pennsylvania.
“For more than 33 years, we have set the highest level of standards for our crew and our program, and we expect the same from our aircraft,” said Jerry Splitt, R.N., C.C.R.N., E.M.T.P., C.M.T.E., operations manager, Life Flight. “The EC-145 meets those standards and delivers an unprecedented margin of safety when paired with our exceptional pilots, flight nurses and paramedics, all of whom receive the highest degree of critical care training and education.”
From the scene of an accident to hospital transports, the Life Flight crew provides specialized care in cardiology, pediatrics, neonatology, trauma and neurology, for up to two patients at a time. Medical equipment includes advanced cardiac monitors, defibrillators, cardiac pacemakers and ventilators, intravenous infusion pumps, oxygen, suction units and a full range of emergency cardiac medications. Transport isolettes or “incubators” are used to transport premature newborns.
“We deliver Geisinger quality care in the air,” said Splitt. “Life Flight is an invaluable service that has helped save countless lives for more than three decades.”
In addition to the new helicopter, Life Flight will be better able to provide lifesaving transport services to Clinton County thanks to a newly constructed landing zone in Lock Haven. The landing zone was conceptualized as part of a class project by Bryce Bason, a senior at Central Mountain High School and constructed in partnership with Anadarko Petroleum Corporation. It will allow for better transport services from remote areas of the county including the Sproul Forest and the banks of the Susquehanna River.
Averaging 2,600 flights per year, Life Flight operates 24-hours a day with a fleet of seven helicopters from air bases in Danville, State College, Avoca, Williamsport and Minersville.
Life Flight is a nationally recognized leader in safety, with quality measures that exceed the National Transportation Safety Board requirements. Each helicopter is equipped with single pilot instrument flight ratings, which allows it to fly in the clouds under aircraft traffic control flight plans to safely arrive at a destination in adverse weather conditions, and night vision equipment to ensure a safe flight day and night.
Geisinger Health System is an integrated health services organization widely recognized for its innovative use of the electronic health record, and the development of innovative care models such as ProvenHealth Navigator® and ProvenCare®. As one of the nation’s largest rural health services organizations, Geisinger serves more than 2.6 million residents throughout 44 counties in central and northeastern Pennsylvania. The physician-led system is comprised of more than 21,000 employees, including a 1,100-member multi-specialty group practice, eight hospital campuses, two research centers and a 467,000-member health plan, all of which leverage an estimated $7.4 billion positive impact on the Pennsylvania economy. The health system and the health plan have repeatedly garnered national accolades for integration, quality and service. In addition to fulfilling its patient care mission, Geisinger has a long-standing commitment to medical education, research and community service. For more information, visit www.geisinger.org, or follow the latest Geisinger news and more on Twitter and Facebook.
- Mercyhealth REACT Has New Helicopter in Service
- PAC International completes EC145 refurbishment
- ATP improves torquing method for Airbus EC145
- Duke Life Flight EC145 crash leads to lawsuit against Safran and pilot
- Anti-corruption questions over Airbus EC145 sale to Kazakhstan
- Airbus shows H130 and EC145 at AMTC 2017
- Travis County to sell UH-1 and replace EC145s
- Uralhelicom sees increase in new helicopter sales
- The French Gendarmerie Nationale Orders an Additional EC145
- Iraq Ministry of Oil receives four EC145s
- The Helicopter Flight Training Center goes international
- New Location is LifeFlight’s First in Northwest Pennsylvania
- NZ CAA approves Metro Aviation EC145 simulator
- 22-May-17 AN-136 Eurocopter EC145 Punta Chame, Panama
- 19-May-17 N197LL Airbus EC145 Terre Haute, US-Indiana
- SAFE Structure delivers hangar equipment to New Mexico Army National Guard
- STAT Medevac Selects SKYTRAC for HAA-Compliant Flight Data Monitoring
- Milestone places €200 million firm order with Airbus Helicopters for H135, H145 and H175
- New Life Star Hangar in Meriden
- Airbus and Precise Flight Announce Expanded STC Approvals for the Pulselite(R) Bird Strike Prevention System