The Transport Select Committee published its report on offshore helicopter safety in July. Oil & Gas UK Chief Executive Malcolm Webb responded in a letter to the Committee report at the time. Today (October 27), the Government published its response to the Transport Select Committee Report alongside comments from Malcolm Webb’s letter. Oil & Gas UK comments on today’s response below.
Robert Paterson, director of health, safety and employment issues at Oil & Gas UK said:
“The Transport Select Committee report, published in July, made reference to unsubstantiated allegations concerning improper commercial pressure affecting safety. We are encouraged that neither the Civil Aviation Authority, the Government nor the industry found evidence of commercial pressures adversely impacting on safety. This is an important reassurance for our workforce.
“We note that the Government and Air Accidents Investigation Branch agree that clear communications with bereaved families and survivors on the progress of an investigation through to its conclusion are important, and we agree entirely.
“We further welcome Government’s recognition of the fact that the safety of UK helicopter operations in the North Sea is comparable to those conducted in other states, in particular Norway.
“Oil & Gas UK would like to take this opportunity to reiterate that if anyone does have evidence of failure to follow good safety practices, we urge them to report their concerns immediately through the various channels open to them, which includes their safety representatives and trade unions.
“Everyone has a right to get to and from their workplace safely and we will continue to strive to make our transport activities safer. We all have a critical role – the Civil Aviation Authority, government, trade unions, oil and gas companies, helicopter operators and the workforce – to ensure safety remains of paramount importance.”
- Penzance HP team point out flaws in Steamship AW169 plans
- Helinetwork presents you with a new free service – RotorPlace.
- LCI closes on $55M capital market financing
- Era Group Celebrates 70 Years of Service
- New Isles of Scilly helicopter link to use AW169
- Helipass reaches 6 million bookings
- Where in the USA Do Helicopter Accidents Occur?
- Sikorsky awarded $127M contract for CH-53K Production
- Robinson adds wire strike system for R66
- BIRD Aerosystems wins follow-on contract for ASIO SMA
- TRAXXALL Technologies Announces New Client
- Voom helicopter booking platform joins Airbus
- USHST appoints Government Co-Chair
- Wills and Legal Services raises £540,000 for hospital helipads
- Convention Data Services signs three year Heli-Expo contract
- Avian-Precise Co awarded $57M contract for Vertical Lift Engineering
- First EMS AW169 launched in the Nordics
- Japan Coast Guard acquires four Bell 505s
- CHC Appoints New General Counsel
- Alyssum Group acquires aviation services company RocketRoute