Sikorsky will celebrate its 30th anniversary in China together with China civil aviation industry peers at Air Show China, which is taking place November 11-16, 2014, in Zhuhai, China. Sikorsky is a subsidiary of United Technologies Corp. (NYSE: UTX).
“We have been a long-term friend to the China civil aviation industry,” said Mick Maurer, president, Sikorsky Aircraft Corp. “We delivered our first five S-76A™ helicopters to Chinese companies in 1984. Today, we have more than 100 Sikorsky civil helicopters supporting offshore oil, search and rescue, executive transport and other commercial business needs throughout China. We’re excited to celebrate our three-decade friendship with the China civil aviation industry at Air Show China.”
In the past 30 years, Sikorsky has achieved a series of milestones during its collaboration with the China civil aviation industry.
In 1984, Sikorsky delivered the first S-76A civil helicopters to China. Then in 1996, the first delivery of an S-76C+™ helicopter was made. Four years later, the Ministry of Transport received the first S-76® search-and-rescue helicopters. In 2003, Sikorsky formed a joint venture with Shanghai Little Eagle to provide civil helicopter sales and support as well as general aviation services.
The S-92® and S-76C++™ entered the Chinese market in 2005, and in 2008, the first S-76 for executive transport was delivered. In the same year, AVIC, through its subsidiaries Changhe Aircraft Industries Corporation and Shanghai Xinsheng Aviation Industry Investment and Development Company, joined Shanghai Sikorsky to support S-76 and S-92 helicopters under the new JV name of Shanghai Sikorsky Aircraft Corporation.
More recently, in 2013 Sikorsky and China’s CITIC Offshore Helicopter Company (COHC) announced an agreement to supply S-92 helicopters to support COHC offshore operations. Sikorsky became the only helicopter OEM to supply for all three major offshore oil service providers in China. In the same year, Sikorsky reached an agreement with Changhe Aircraft Industries Group Co., Ltd. that Changhe will produce S-76D™ commercial helicopter cabins for Sikorsky.
This year, Sikorsky received a validation type certificate from the Civil Aviation Administration of China (CAAC) for the S-76D helicopter. In April, Sikorsky delivered the first S-76D helicopter to Yunnan Jingcheng Group for transportation of corporate and government VIPs. S-76D is the latest Sikorsky model and features Pratt & Whitney Canada’s PW210S engines.
“I’m pleased with the collaborations that we have developed with the China civil aviation industry over the past 30 years,” continued Maurer. “We value China as an important market and it is a privilege for us to contribute to the development of this industry.”
Sikorsky, based in Stratford, Connecticut, is a world leader in helicopter design, manufacture and service. United Technologies Corp., based in Hartford, Connecticut, provides high technology products and support services to the aerospace and building systems industries worldwide.
- Boeing awarded $18M contract for MH-47G Block 11 Part Procurement
- Russian Helicopters transfers repaired Mi-17s to Laos
- Leonardo delivers AW119Kx to NYC Department of Environmental Protection Police
- EASA – A vision for the future of GA
- Prabhu new two Robinson R66 successfully commences its Proving flight
- Boeing awarded $131M contract for the procurement of 4 MH-47G Block II Helicopters
- Mexican president-elect vows to scrap MH-60R order
- First US HEMS Operation to Eliminate Paperwork with Flightdocs
- Meeker-Airfilm receives EASA STC for AFSP-V2
- Coast Guard Air Station Barbers Point holds change of command
- Leonardo and PGZ to collaborate on new AW249 combat helicopter
- AeroTex UK leverages VABS for simulation of composite rotor blades
- Bell to feature Nassau County Police 429 at APSCON
- Nepal Army procures one AW139 and two H125s
- Nepal Army Constructs Helipad at Nepal-China border (Hilsa)
- NHV win Siemens Gamesa wind farm contract with H175 at Aberdeen
- Bell Training Academy opens Floyd Carlson Airfield
- Airbus delivers law enforcement H125s in North America faster than one per month
- EASA issues STC for AS350/AS355 automatically deployable ELT built by SPAES
- MQ-8C Fire Scout completes operational test and evaluation