Local news outlets in Nevada are reporting that the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police have approval to buy a new Airbus H145, with delivery targeted for March 2017. The new helicopter will operate in the SAR role and replace one of two HH-1H helicopers which date back to the early 1970s. The Metropolitan Police Committee on Fiscal Affairs approved the purchase of the new helicopter Monday morning, after more than a year of discussions.
This will be the first twin-engined helicopter operated by the Metro Police. The unit’s current fleet consists of four MD530Fs and one Bell 407, alongside the two Hueys. The Air Support Unit operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and flies 6,000 hours annually.
Department CFO Rich Hoggan said that the price of $9.6M, including spares and training, is being offset by $1.6M from the sale of an existing aircraft, and $2M from a lawsuit settlement. Hoggan is also leading an initiative to seek an increase in fees at Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area and Lake Mead National Recreation Area to help support the helicopter SAR operations. The department said it averages 160 rescues each year.
Jeremy Parkin – HeliHub.com
- SAFE Structure delivers hangar equipment to New Mexico Army National Guard
- STAT Medevac Selects SKYTRAC for HAA-Compliant Flight Data Monitoring
- Milestone places €200 million firm order with Airbus Helicopters for H135, H145 and H175
- New Life Star Hangar in Meriden
- Airbus and Precise Flight Announce Expanded STC Approvals for the Pulselite(R) Bird Strike Prevention System
- Airbus releases 2016 production numbers
- Look, Smile, Reward! Wales Air Ambulance celebrates new H145 fleet
- PAC International upgrades EC145 for Allegheny Health Network’s LifeFlight program
- Airbus Helicopters at Helitech 2016
- Royal Thai Navy Receives 5 H145Ms
- Metro Aviation Launches Air Medical Service
- Metro Aviation launches service with West Michigan Air Care
- East Anglian Air Ambulance appoints four Pre-Hospital Emergency Medicine consultants
- Yorkshire Air Ambulance prepare to launch first H145 in early September
- Memorial Hermann Life Flight celebrates 40 years
- Coptersafety orders five new Full Flight Simulators
- Metro Aviation delivers first EC145e to Childrens Healthcare of Atlanta
- CMC systems selected for Sécurité Civile EC145 upgrades
- CAE confirms sale and details of seven FTDs for UK
- Vanderbilt LifeFlight names two new Medical Affairs Managers