VIH Aerospace is in the process of delivering two Sikorsky S-92 helicopters to a leading offshore oil and gas operator, in response to the grounding of the Airbus H225.
The aircraft identified for quick maintenance and modifications turn-around by VIHA expert engineers have required greatly-differing work scopes in order to meet the compressed delivery timeline required by the operator. “The initial S-92 helicopter, which was recently delivered, represented the lesser of the two work scopes; requiring a Service Life Extension Program (SLEP), as well as performance of all scheduled inspections, a thorough inspection of all avionics and electrical systems, completion of and/or ensuring all required Airworthiness Directives were addressed, and a variety of detailed airframe repairs were carried out,” explains Jeff Norie, Director of Maintenance for VIH Aerospace.
Norie elaborates, explaining that the second S-92 helicopter has required a more detailed workscope, which also included the SLEP. Additionally, in order to prepare the helicopter for its upcoming deployment, VIH Aerospace’s engineers performed a full conversion from VIP configuration to a Search & Rescue (SAR) and passenger carrier configuration. “This was a very labour intensive and technically specialized project, one that included de-modifying the S-92 and then re-modifying it with mission equipment specific to a SAR role,” explains Norie. Added to this was integration of Supplemental Type Certified equipment such as VIH Aerospace’s Auxiliary Fuel Tank system and SAR console, as well as extensive structural modifications and a complete paint strip and custom paint application.
- Sonar problem stops Canadian S92 deck landings
- Science Channel to feature S92 in new Mega Machines series
- S92 Helicopters Certified to Operate in Mexico
- Bristow Norway wins five year contracts for two S92s
- Sikorsky complete first year of S92 spares centre in Norway
- Thai Aviation Services picks Skytrac for S76D and S92 fleet
- EASA approves Outerlink Flight Data Monitoring system for S92
- JSSI Enrolls Sikorsky S92 onto Tip-to-Tail Program
- HeliOffshore develops S92 tail rotor pitch guidance
- Bristow adds offshore AW189 in UK – impacts SAR fleet too
- Bristow transitions Prestwick SAR base from S92 to AW189
- CHC Orders New Aircraft to Support SAR Services in Norway
- CHC Brazil Opens New Hangar in Macaé
- Waypoint Delivers 2 helicopters to Omni
- HNZ Group announces offshore SAR contract in Australia
- 02-May-17 G-MCGG Sikorsky S92 Kirkfieldbank, UK
- CHC Wins Contract with Providence Resources PLC
- Bristow announces Apache contract award
- Sikorsky Recognizes Brunei Shell Petroleum for 50 Years of Continuous Service
- Sikorsky plans Customer Support Centre in Thailand