Two survivors were located by Perth’s MH-60R helicopter, call sign ‘Hellcat’, and were recovered by a civilian yacht.
The support provided to the rescue mission marked the first occasion that an Australian Navy MH-60R whilst on an operational deployment has been used in such a mission.
Perth had been conducting a logistics and crew respite visit to the island town of Port Victoria, Seychelles when the Seychelles Maritime Safety Agency made the support request.
Seychelles Maritime Safety Agency Director, Captain Joachim Valmont said a fishing vessel capsized during a night crossing between the islands of Praslin and La Digue, some 45 km northwest of Port Victoria.
It was late night and there were six people in the water. Perth immediately initiated recall procedures, launching her helicopterat first light.
Perth’s New Zealand Exchange Officer and officer-of-the-day throughout the mission was Sub Lieutenant Jeffrey Handcock.
“It’s days like this that validate the extensive training it takes to be an officer-of-the-day,” Sub Lieutant Handcock said.
“The MH60R’s sophisticated sensors and communications meant we provided the much needed coordination and search assistance.
“Hellcatfound two survivors, an infant and an adult. The aircrew then directed a local boat to the exact location to complete the recovery.”
The only other survivor from the vessel was the skipper of the vessel who managed to swim ashore.
The ship’s company of Perth were pleased to learn that the survivors recovered in a critical condition have since been stabilised.
Pilot, Lieutenant Benjamin Thomson said to be involved in a life-saving operation was an extremely gratifying experience.
“I am just so pleased that we were able to detect the remaining personnel in the nick of time.”
Captain Valmont thanked Perth on behalf of the Seychelles Government highlighting that the Royal Australian Navy played a key role in supporting the rescue.
Perth resumed its counter-terrorist mission following the search and rescue operation.
- First Afghan UH-60 pilots graduate
- Honeywell Certified To Bring Wi-Fi To Helicopters
- Parker Hannifin awarded $96M contract for UH-60 Upgrades
- V-280 Valor undergoing ground trials at Amarillo
- Sikorsky marks 30,000 Black Hawk hours in Brazilian military operation
- Sikorsky awarded $10M contract for BE UH-60 Blackhawk weapon system parts
- 07-Aug-17 Sikorsky UH-60 Nuevo Leon, Mexico
- 10 refurbished Black Hawk to fight Australian fires
- United Technologies awarded $28M contract for procurement of 420 auxiliary power units of UH-60 Black Hawks
- DynCorp International awarded $8M contract for Maintenance on AH-64, UH-60, CH-47, and OH-58s
- Raytheon awarded $11M contract for MH-60 Airborne Mine Neutralization Systems
- Martin-Baker awarded $27M contract for 1,016 UH-60 Blackhawk operator seats
- Sikorsky awarded $38M contract for the renovation of 381 UH-60 tail rotor blades
- 01-May-17 Sikorsky UH-60 Scottsville, US-New York
- BAT Trainer Modernizes Helicopter Simulator Flying
- Ohio National Guard Blackhawk Upgrade
- First South Korean Female Pilot Instructor
- Stirling and SGB extend partnership
- Three Black Hawks for Hawaii Army National Guard
- Sikorsky delivers 1000th H-60M to US