The Honourable Dominic LeBlanc, Minister of Fisheries and Oceans and the Canadian Coast Guard, today accepted two new medium-lift helicopters into the Canadian Coast Guard fleet.
These are the first of seven new medium-lift helicopters being constructed by Bell Helicopter Textron Canada Ltd. as part of the Coast Guard’s Fleet Renewal Plan. The acquisition of these modern aircraft is renewing the capabilities of the Coast Guard’s existing fleet of helicopters.
These helicopters will help support the Government of Canada’s Oceans Protection Plan by enhancing the Coast Guard’s capability to contribute to marine safety and environmental response across the country.
Helicopters are used in delivering key Coast Guard services, including ensuring the safety of marine traffic, performing icebreaking reconnaissance, maintaining aids to navigation and marine communications equipment, science and fisheries enforcement, and transporting personnel and cargo between ship and shore.
- The helicopters are owned by the Canadian Coast Guard. Transport Canada pilots and engineers fly and service the aircraft for Coast Guard operations.
- The seven Bell 412 helicopters will replace five Bell 212 helicopters currently in service.
- Under the Canadian Coast Guard Fleet Renewal Plan, the Government of Canada has already received and deployed 15 light-lift helicopters and contracted for a helicopter simulator.
- In an average year, Coast Guard’s helicopter fleet flies 7,000 hours; performs over 8,400 flights; transports more than 22,700 persons; carries a payload of more than 11.2 million pounds; and completes more than 3,500 external load lifts, carrying cargo suspended by a cable from the helicopter.
- Economic benefits of this procurement are being leveraged through the Industrial and Regional Benefits Policy. This policy ensures that companies that win Government of Canada defence and security contracts conduct high quality and advanced technology business activities in Canada equal to contract value.
- Rampart Helicopter Services aims to correct Colorado zoning violation
- Helipad Ceremony for Essentia Health-St. Mary’s Foundation
- Oceania Aviation appointed distributor for H125 maximum view kit
- Air Ambulance Chief Executive receives top honour
- WomenVenture Begins its Second Decade
- HAI expresses concerns about Ligado proposal
- South Carolina NG to help secure Mexican border
- Donaldson to develop AW169 IBF for Leonardo
- ASESA Selects Able as Exclusive Provider
- Meron Awarded Patent for Helicopter Transmission Test Rigs
- Macro Industries awarded $20M contract for V-22 single floor spares
- Hong Kong Government Flying Service receive first H175s
- PHI Announces Offering of Senior Secured Notes Due 2023
- HeliOffshore Consults Flight Instructors and Examiners
- Prabhu added two new Robinson R66 to its fleet; chopper arrives Birgunj Custom
- Fishtail Air gets new official name ‘Summit Helicopters’
- PHI Announces Cash Tender Offer and Consent Solicitation
- NBAA Requests Guidance on Tax Cuts and Jobs Act
- HeliOffshore – HUMS Best Practice Guidelines
- Bristol Sycamore Flies Home After 60 Years