True Blue Power and Mid-Continent Instruments and Avionics are proud to announce that the True Blue Power TB17 (17 amp-hour) lithium-ion engine-start battery and Mid-Continent’s MD302 Standby Attitude Module (SAM®) are standard equipment on the new Bell Helicopter 505 Jet Ranger X™. The Honourable Marc Garneau, Minister of Transport, confirmed the aircraft’s Transport Canada Type Certification (TC) during a press conference at Bell Helicopter’s Mirabel, Quebec facility on Wednesday.
“Today’s announcement reaffirms Bell Helicopter’s unwavering commitment to product development and the introduction of new and enhanced products to the marketplace,” said Mitch Snyder, Bell Helicopter’s President and CEO. “The Bell 505 is truly a game changer in the short light single market, and we are proud of the excellent team that drove this program through certification as well as our suppliers, customers, certification authorities and the customer advisory panel that worked with us every step of the way.”
The Bell 505 underwent more than 575 hours of supervised ground and flight testing during Transport Canada’s extensive certification process. The TC represents approval of the design, airworthiness limitations, and operating conditions.
“The advanced technology on the Bell 505—especially its innovative Turbomeca Arrius 2R engine—relies on a high-power, low-maintenance battery that is built for rugged environments. This includes extreme low and high-temperature conditions,” said Rick Slater, Director, True Blue Power. “Our lithium-ion battery delivers that and more.”
True Blue Power’s TB17 lithium-ion aircraft battery utilizes proprietary Nanophosphate® lithium-ion cell chemistry for certified safety. The TB17 battery offers 45 percent weight savings, high energy starts, and 60 to 90 percent reduced maintenance cost when compared to older lead-acid and nickel-cadmium alternatives. This intelligent battery system is engineered with several layers of electronic protection and communicates real-time battery status to the pilot.
The Bell 505’s state of the art avionics suite improves safety and mission capabilities. Mid-Continent Instruments and Avionics’ MD302 Standby Attitude Module (SAM) complements the flight deck and provides a seamless transition from the primary flight displays to the standby instruments during an emergency situation.
“SAM’s flexible orientation and compact size are a tremendous benefit to the rotorcraft market. It’s the first digital standby to provide attitude, altitude, airspeed, slip, vertical trend, and interfaced heading information in a high-definition, 2-inch format,” said David Copeland, director of sales for Mid-Continent Instruments and Avionics. “We’re proud to partner with a highly respected helicopter manufacturer, such as Bell.”
- Garmin® introduces the G3000H integrated flight deck
- HeliRussia 2018 Update
- Collier County FL to buy new helicopter
- Norwegian operator Heli-Team celebrates 30 years
- New EMS Helipad being built at Columbus TX
- Wiltshire Air Ambulance starts work on new base
- BRS Aerospace Addressing Urban eVTOL Parachute Recovery Systems
- IMT Vislink and K2 Unmanned Systems launch law enforcement drone
- Med-Trans Opens New AeroCare Base
- LA Tour Company Announces New Tour Packages For Summer
- Sikorsky and Canada’s DND Receive AHS International Award
- AACUS Makes First Operational Cargo Delivery to US Marines
- Life Link III Opens New 24/7 Air Medical Helicopter Base in Wisconsin
- CareFlight appoints new CEO
- Spirit Delivers 5th CH-53K System Demonstration Test Article
- HeliOffshore appoints Executive Assistant
- Merlin Technology awarded patent for helicopter emergency collective actuator
- L-3 Communications awarded $42M contract for TH-57 fleet logistics services
- 920th Rescue Wing receives Power and Vigilance Award
- Metro delivers H125 to Jujuy Province