DEA General Aviation company, Germany’s RotorSchmiede returns to AERO Friedrichshafen, the global show for general aviation this week (5th to 8th April) hard on the heels of the first flight of its single-seat, ultra light Co-axial VA115 helicopter. On March 27th, 2017 the fully insrumented VA115 prototype (D-MPVA) successfully demonstrated its agility and precision during sunny spring weather, cheered by Andrej Vlasov and Vitali Brandt, key architects of this innovative project.
Prior to this, the RotorSchmiede team, under the guidance of CEO Dr Hanns-Walter Schulz, Head of Serial Development, prepared flight tests in co-operation with Luftfahrtbundesamt (LBA), Oskar-Ursinus-Vereinigung (OUV) and the Deutsche Ultraleichtflugverband (DULV). This co-operation resulted in ‘Permit to Fly’ approval, just weeks after the German Government set in place the legal requirements for the ultra light helicopter class in Germany – at the end of 2016.
RotorSchmiede becomes the first company to obtain official approval based on the new airworthiness requirements for ultra-light helicopters. “We are bringing a new generation of helicopters to the general public,” commented DEA CEO Mike Creed at the Show this week.
The successful first flight is a major milestone not only for the VA115 programme, but also for the entire planned helicopter portfolio of RotorSchmiede. With is Co-axial rotor system, RotorSchmiede has defined a family of ultra light helicopters which all take advantage of co-axial systems.
At the 2017 AERO Show, RotorSchmiede is also highlighting plans for its VA250 (the first double seat ultra-light helicopter, weighing 250kg), having already started work on the design concept. To be readied for 2018, it will be able to carry two passengers inside a weatherproof cabin. The two UAV versions of the VA115 and VA250 will create new possibilities in industrial and commercial applications: The unmanned VA115, for example, will be highly suitable in a crop spraying role, capable of spraying up to 110 litres of fertilizer efficiently with the help of the rotor downwash. Alternatively, the unmanned VA250 cargo hook can transport up to 350 kg of external load.
RotorSchmiede is currently evaluating various industrial applications to develop special unmanned vehicles based on its Co-axial technology and manned helicopters.
RotorSchmiede GmbH is part of the DEA General Aviation Group of China. This means it can effectively share the competences of other partner companies in the Group, including XtremeAir GmbH (the manufacturer of EASA certified full-carbon aerobatic and sport aircraft), HIRTH GmbH (Göbler-HirthmotorenGmbH & Co. KG) – a UAV propulsion specialist offering 2 to 4-stroke engines for UAV and ultralight applications) and Mistral Engines SA (providing rotary piston engines in the power range of 200 – 300 hp).
- Mexico – MH-60R Multi-Mission Helicopters
- Elbit Systems to Showcase a Modular Mission Helicopters Package
- New Trustee for Essex & Herts Air Ambulance
- Helicentre Announces 2019 US FAA CPL(H) Scholarship
- ARSA Supports Effort to Increase Part 147 School Flexibility
- EASA go to AERO 2018 with vision for the future of GA
- Rheinmetall Group and Sikorsky will lead in-service support for the CH-53K
- DRF upgrades Christoph 47 base from BK117 to H145
- Western Australian Police start process to replace ageing BK117
- New operator launches in Fiji with a Bell 212
- Philippines National Police receives first of three Bell 429s
- Quantum3D Awarded Contract by AVC Defense
- First Utility H145 in US delivered to San Diego Gas & Electric
- SAFE Structure sells Nassau County Police with Bell 429 maintenance stands
- Safran signs by-the-hour support contracts with Papillon Grand Canyon Helicopters and Rainier Heli International
- Lockheed Chairman, President and CEO receives 2018 Edison Achievement Award
- The Air Ambulance Service welcomes CQC report
- Leonardo demonstrates its AW159 to Malaysian Armed Forces
- ARA Flugrettung and ARBÖ present new helicopters and cooperation
- Russian Helicopters delivers two ship-based Ka-226T