One of East Anglian Air Ambulance’s (EAAA’s) founding members and aviation consultant, Gerry Hermer, received the Eric Brown Award at the British Helicopter Association (BHA) annual dinner this month.
Gerry’s drive and passion were behind the establishment of the air ambulance in East Anglia, and in the early years of EAAA his company Sterling Aviation provided the charity’s helicopters. Gerry also offered his first class flying expertise by regularly undertaking shifts as a pilot for EAAA. After his retirement from Sterling, Gerry then became the aviation consultant for EAAA, before retiring from the charity earlier this year.
The team at Babcock International nominated Gerry for this prestigious award. The ‘Eric Brown Award’ was established by the British Helicopter Advisory Board (the former name of the British helicopter Association) Council of Management in recognition of the outstanding service given by the late Captain E.M. Brown (who sadly passed away last year) to the helicopter industry while he was Chief Executive of the BHAB from 1968 until 1987. Among many accolades Eric was a British Royal Navy officer and test pilot who flew 487 types of aircraft, more than anyone else in history. He was also the most-decorated pilot in the history of the Royal Navy. These achievements show the gravity of the award, and the calibre of individuals that are nominated. The Award is made annually by the BHA to the individual whom they consider has made a significant contribution towards the helicopter industry.
The extent of Eric Brown’s service to the industry (and country) and his many achievements shows what an honour it is to win this award. Everyone at EAAA could not be more proud of Gerry for what he has achieved and we are incredibly grateful for everything he has done for EAAA and the aviation industry in general. We are delighted that he has received recognition of his service by receiving this award. What a way for Gerry to finish off his retirement year!
- Sikorsky presents $28,000 to Patient AirLift Services
- HeliOffshore Southeast Asia group meets in Bangkok to review safety work
- HAI announces W.A. “Dub” Blessing Flight Instructor of the Year Award winner
- Airbus fly image processing system on H225 testbed
- Sikorsky Delivers Black Hawks to the LA County Fire Department
- HAI announces Airbus Golden Hour Award winner
- Airbus open new Le Bourget facility, including rotor blade production line
- Boeing to Modernize Six Netherlands CH-47F Chinooks
- HeliOffshore looks back on 2017’s enhancements of offshore safety
- Bell delivers 20th EMS configured B429
- Airbus Helicopters CEO to move to Commercial Aircraft division
- Arizona National Guard may lose last four Apaches
- Philippine Air Force to Acquire 24 Attack Helicopters
- Wiking Helikopter welcomes second H145 to Jade Weser Airport
- Rostec Signs an Agreement to Promote Helicopters in South-East Asia
- Aurora Demonstrates Fully Autonomous Helicopter
- Airbus promotes carbon content in colour scheme of third H160 prototype
- Falcon Aviation earns IS-BAH Accreditation
- Northland Rescue Helicopter and Fire and Emergency New Zealand Team Up
- South Korea conducts AH-64 missile drills