World Helicopter Day takes place on Sunday 19 August and to mark the occasion The Helicopter Museum in Weston-super-Mare is hosting a special Family Fun Day which includes opening some of its more unusual exhibits, that have rarely been open to the public before.
The aim of the day is to raise awareness of the contributions that helicopters make to society and to celebrate the diverse range of people that design, fly and support these unique machines. All around the World ‘rotary flight’ themed events will be taking place and in Weston-super-Mare, the home of many iconic helicopters, the day will be celebrated with a myriad of flight themed family activities, open cockpits and actual helicopter flights over the local coastline.
“Weston-super-Mare has a vast helicopter heritage, so it is only right that we help celebrate this very special day.” Said Museum Manager Lee Mills “Every day there are people relying on helicopters for rescue, disaster relief, transport, firefighting, medical transfers, agriculture and many other roles.”
Perhaps most exciting will be the chance for all visitors to sit in the cockpit of the museum’s Mil Mi-24 ‘Hind’. The Russian aircraft, nicknamed the Flying Tank, is one of the museum’s most iconic helicopters and is only opened during World Helicopter Day.
The Helicopter Museum houses the World’s largest collection of helicopters including two aircraft of the Queens Royal Flight and the World’s fastest Helicopter, with several of its aircraft enjoying top benchmark status on the National Aviation Heritage Register.
World Helicopter Day takes place on Sunday 19th August
- Jhonlin Air Transport to add Airbus H145
- Cooper 2 joins life-saving Air Medical Transport Service
- DHART expands its reach
- Bell 525 completes hot weather testing
- Hampshire and Isle of Wight Air Ambulance fly 8,000th Mission
- Bell Announces the Delivery of Bell 429s to Jamaica Defence Force
- Egypt Receives new Ka-52 Alligator Helicopters
- Nepal to clamp down on helicopter rescue insurance scams
- Sonoma County Sheriff unveils new helicopter
- Wales Air Ambulance takes over Cardiff HP lease
- Japan resumes talks with local government on V-22 deployment
- Babcock takes delivery of another new S92
- AVIC AC312E Passes Stability Test
- LOTN completes overhaul of first Afghan Mi-17V-5
- Bell Boeing Joint Program awarded $74M contract for V-22 Repairs
- Bergen H225 Final Accident Report : Comprehensive and Worrying
- New Zealand orders NH90 flight training device from CAE
- Maverick Helicopters has expanded operations to Hawaii’s Kauai
- CHC and Sikorsky Sending Students to Safety & Quality Summit
- Aerometals Receives FAA STC Approval for Airbus H130 IBF System